Workshop in the basement questions

Lost One

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am planning on building my first wood and canvas canoe this winter and have decided that the basement might be the best place to build my canoe since it will have better working conditions than the garage throughout the winter and it already has all of my tools and workbench setup there already. Fortunately I have a door to the outside of the house to get the finished canoe out of the basement once completed.

I am just curious about issues others may have experienced in building in their basement that I might not have thought about before I really get involved.

I am just curious about issues others may have experienced in building in their basement that I might not have thought about before I really get involved.

Lots of folks have done this. You will want to give consideration to dust (especially), fumes from varnish, paint, filler, etc., and noise. Especially if cohabiting the upstairs living spaces with others.

First -- a canoe is somehow bigger when it is indoors than when it is outside. Make sure you have enough space to walk and work around the canoe.

Second (and this is an issue no matter where the canoe is located) -- some of the pieces of a canoe -- gunwales, keel -- are quite long, and you need a very long space if you are cutting them -- for example, you need 32+ feet to rip a 16 foot gunwale (and don't forget, a gunwale is longer than the canoe). This can be done in a smaller space -- if a door or window is strategically located in relation to you saw. I know of one workshop where a small hatch door has been cut into an outside wall to deal with this issue.

As stated above, but take extra precautions with fumes, as they can not only spread thru the house and/or overcome you, but they can create an explosive situation very quickly, either from open flame or spark.
I have some pretty shocking photos from claims i've adjusted.
This occurred not too long ago, and was attributed to acetylene. There is dashcam footage of it as well, its dramatic.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1957168/o...vestigation-into-scarborough-house-explosion/

http://globalnews.ca/video/1951183/raw-video-scarborough-home-explosion-caught-on-camera

Thanks for the feedback so far. I was kind of figuring that I would have to relocate the canoe to the garage when it got to the finishing and painting portion especially since our boiler is located in the basement. For the cutting of the longer pieces of wood I would do them at the shop at work where there is more room. My wife was laughing at me this past week as I was measuring out the basement to figure out the best place to set up would be to allow room to move around it while working.

I will be "sharing" the basement with the washer and dryer and storage. I do have a concern with the dust and was thinking about putting up a plastic wall to separate the work area from the laundry and storage area. Has anyone done this and successfully cut down on the dust in the rest of the basement? What worked best for you?

Ditto all cautions about dust and vapours.
At our former house, I installed a furnace blower with a fabric sleeve that slides into the window frame for high volume ventilation of dust and fumes. I was particularly concerned about not promoting both circulating through the forced air heating ducts, but that shouldn't be a problem if you have a boiler.

I built a stripper in my small 300 year old root cellar...er I mean "basement". It was a
12 footer. The biggest problem I had was that I wanted to step back and look down the hull to make sure things were fair, and that was next to impossible. Allow plenty of room.

Back