Wood Stock for Paddle Making

djhayes

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi folks,
New member just getting started and attempting to make a few paddles for family. I am hoping to start with ottertail-type paddles and my first attempt out of tulip poplar is barely salvageable given my somewhat poor band saw skills. I started with 6/4" stock. Is it wiser to go directly to 5/4" to start? Thanks,
Dan

I start with either 5/4 or 6/4 stock, depending on the paddle I want to make, and especially what kind of grip I'm going to carve out of it.

If you haven't already, I'd start with reading this book very carefully: http://store.wcha.org/Canoe-Paddles-A-Complete-Guide-to-Making-Your-Own.html, conveniently available at the WCHA store.
Especially for your first few paddles, you might want to stick closely to the plans & instructions, as you'll learn a whole lot from the experience of the authors. Once you get the feel for it, you can try other things.

Any time you have questions, please post here -- there are quite a few folks here with much more paddle-making experience than I, and folks are very enthusiastic about helping! And post pictures... we like pictures! They also help folks visualize whatever issue you're having, and offer better suggestions.

Back