White Oak Stems

Only broke one in five tries at 6400' elev.

Jim just go into it with a positive attitude, you have already succeded at failure, its time to go for a new experience. Chin up be positive and dont let the oak win.

What kind of glue do you use Dave? I have my bases covered and have glued one up and can use the old front stem. It's questionable. I think what got me started on this project was being told It was close to impossible, and the fact it is a different creature, I'm kinda driven, so I'll figure out how to get this stem issue done. Still moving forward though. Heading to Paxton in Denver.

Picked up some white oak that was cut 2 weeks ago, monitored the temp. At this altitude, 9800 ft, the steam won't get over 200 degrees. So not even close to the 212 desired. But the green wood bent, I'm elated. I didn't have my clamping just right so it didn't work. Steaming again and changing the jig around. I broke a sweat bending it. Hope to be successful in an hour.

Covered the steam tube with some old throw rugs, temp was able to sustain at 204, followed Rollins instructions with the size, 1 5/16 by 1 5/16, steamed 1 hour 15 minutes. One small blow out, that might cut out, I believe the strap moved over a bit and caused it to fray.

My opinion is, if your bending white oak, get green, or air dried wood, kiln dried is impossible.

Pulled them off the jigs after a few days and tied them with a string, pulled them tighter, through some boiling water on them, dried them inside by the wood burner, shaped them, they went on great. Added a picture of the installed stem.

Attachments

• DSCN0112.JPG
    DSCN0112.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 537
  • DSCN0141.JPG
    DSCN0141.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
Back