Update on Denis Kallery

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
It's hard to break tough news, so it is with some hesitation that I write to inform All that Denis is now under the care of hospice. He is home after another adventure in the hospital. Mid-way through the stay, Denis said he felt it was time to curtail this sort of adventuring, and no longer paddle against the current-- letting the Great River of Life take him wherever it happens to flow.

He's comfortable at home, resting in his bed which is now downstairs in the dining area, where he can see spring erupting through the large windows. Bertie the Jack Russell/Chihuahua won't leave his side.

If anyone is in the neighborhood, don't hesitate to stop by... and I'll be sharing any messages with Denis.

Denis has never been one to join groups or causes... except when it came to the WCHA. He is number 926, and is mighty proud of this low number and of the group and its people! I am reminded of the last sentence spoken by Henry David Thoreau, as he lay in anticipation of the same sort of adventure Denis Michael Kallery now faces, after struggling against a disease entity: "Now comes good sailing."

Kathy

Peaceful sailing Denis!

Denis and Kathy, our love and prayers are with you both, always. Denis, you have touched many lives, and we are the lucky ones to have known you. Peaceful sailing.

Mike and Debbie

Kathy,
how fortunate it is for Denis that he is at home for this time, and not in an institution. My father passed at home after a long battle, which was the best possible conclusion. Please tell Denis that I always enjoyed his posts and correspondence greatly. No superfluous content, just great and helpful advise and ideas. Take care of yourself too.
Kind regards,
Andre

peace be with you both

You are in our thoughts and prayers. May God's grace and peace be with you through this difficult time. Enjoyed
meeting and talking with you at Ken's cabin last April. Paddles up and enjoy that long river ahead whereever it may take you.
John and Wendy Kimpel

Kathy, you and Denis are such special people... a conclusion I arrived at after spending only a couple hours with you looking through Ralph Frese's collection a couple springs ago. Both of you are in our prayers.

Kathy,
No way I can say how sorry I am. Please, please tell Denis I think of him everytime I go out to the garage and work on the Gerrish. I will commemorate the restoration of the canoe to him when done with it. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Denis & Kathy,

During this season Peggy & I are keeping you both in our prayers. May peace and comfort fill your Spring.

Dave & Peggy

Kathy / Denis
Being relativly new to WCHA, and the fine folks here on the forums, it is with some trepidation that I respond.
I have only "spoke" with you in a couple e-mails but found you to be a genuine person, and I got the same feeling from Denis. I was sad to hear of his affliction and the toll it had taken on him and you. My wife and I had to go thru Hospice on a couple occasions with her Mother and a good friend.
It is truly a great organization that deserves our support. The angels there are special people!
As you and Denis wait in the end days for his final paddle to meet the creator on the great calm lake that is eternity, please be assured that all thoughts and prayers are with you in this most difficult time.
Randy and Teresa Orchard

Denis and Kathy, my thoughts & prayers are with you....as others have already noted, it is very fortunate that Denis is at home....near his loved ones....
Mike

The graceful human birch has been impelled along the stream of life by the dip of Time's golden oar, will soon make its final landing. Then, amidst the bowers which skirt the banks of that mystic river, where campfires cease to burn and earth's legends give place to eternal realities, he will rest forever in "That summer land of song." THE BIRCH CANOE, A Forest Idyl, 1892

I just saw this thread and I am glad I saw it as I was wondering this week as to Denis' status. I hope Denis is as comfortable as possible.
I will begin the finish work (finally) on that old Penn Yan - Now known as
"The DM Kallery". This will be my first attempt at lettering.

Thanks, Howard and everyone else who has added their words-- thoughts-- prayers.

As Denis would say, "I'm still here." And he's doing fine, four weeks into hospice. His world is the bed (which is in the dining room) and a couple feet surrounding it. He loves when folks visit-- so if anyone is-- for instance-- heading to the exhibit on canoe history at the Marquette History Center, please stop in! He gets bored watching "Swamp People"...

Kathy

Attachments

• guys watching TV.jpg
    guys watching TV.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 371
But who isn't bored by Swamp People? It ws good chatting with Denis yesterday, or was it Wednesday? Roxinator is watching, Say yes to the Dress. Swamp people ain't so bad.

Hello Denis and Kathy,
I only had to be in your home a few minutes to recognize myself, recycled and projects galore. We make our lives interesting. May I have such good fortune when the wind turns against me. A privilege to meet you both.
Tim McDonald

Hello to all the friends of Denis and Kathy,

I made it to their place in the UP Sunday afternoon about 5:30pm.

I was greeted by Burt and Charlie who then retreated back up onto the bed with Denis. Denis was sitting up in bed and had his usual greeting smile on his face. I was a bit suprised to see him so "healthy". Denis doesn't get on line anymore and I'm not going to saying anything I wouldn't say in front of him, but that's the preface to my update.

Kathy and Denis seem to be dealing with everything well. Denis is on a constant drip of meds to keep him comfortable and it seems to be working very well. He also has oxygen handy when he feels the need. Denis will even get up once and awhile and move about.

The three of us, interupted by a few visitors, talked canoes, life histories, family, and when things got a bit more quiet and serious; Denis spoke humbly about the outpouring of support from his fellow canoe nuts. He said that during this whole process the thing that suprised him most was the response of love and support he has received from people he didn't really know all that well, people that he may have only met once or twice or never met except via the forum.

I know I'm a good story teller and Denis showed great pleasure in my recounting of recent canoe runs with Peter, but I couldn't believe how he stayed awake during it all; we talked until I said I had to go to bed.

I now get to my point:

Let's be frank, many of us don't know what to say to someone who is dying of cancer but one things for sure they love to talk with you and hear of your latest canoe exploits and adventures. Don't be afraid you'll tire him out. He more than once told me: "if I appear to be falling asleep it's not because your boaring." That could have been part BS, but I said I believed him. If he doesn't have time to talk or can't he'll let you know.

I don't want to post his phone number here, but send me or Kathy a private message and will give you the number. Please call him, you'll never know how you can touch the life of another.

God Bless us All,

Paul

Denis 5-5-2012

I was with Denis, Kathy and his daughter Wendy yesterday. Really enjoyed my time with them and hope the reverse was true. Denis seemed great, was alert and active, inerested in what was new with the WCHA and my canoe exploits. It was a great visit. Thanks for letting me intrude on your Saturday! It was great to see you and I look forward to our next visit.

Attachments

• DSCF0059.jpg
    DSCF0059.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 376
  • DSC01879.jpg
    DSC01879.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg