UFO Wisconsin 2013

workingbadger

Mad Badger
In Memoriam
This canoe fell on top my car this morning. Anyone want to venture a maker, model date? It is 15'. Heart-shaped lobes, beveled undeneath. 'Normal' square stem. No serial number or tag. Decks are painted, so no decal visible. I'm thinking a 15' Rushton? I'm thinking the seats were replaced, not sure about the thwarts. Thanks folks.

bow deck 2.jpgbow deck 2.jpg Shoot, I loaded photos when I posted, what did I do with them. I will go look at stem, and measure. Sub angle.JPG ribs.jpg

Attachments

• stern deck.jpg
    stern deck.jpg
    806 bytes · Views: 476
  • stern seat.jpg
    stern seat.jpg
    892 bytes · Views: 499
some photos.

Attachments

• Sub bow.JPG
    Sub bow.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 329
  • ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 341
  • long view top.jpg
    long view top.jpg
    790 bytes · Views: 453
  • stern deck.jpg
    stern deck.jpg
    806 bytes · Views: 471
  • bow deck 2.jpg
    bow deck 2.jpg
    852 bytes · Views: 469
bow deck 2.jpg why don't my attached images open up to show the whole photo? stern deck.jpg

Attachments

• good stern deck.jpg
    good stern deck.jpg
    789 bytes · Views: 458
  • long view top.jpg
    long view top.jpg
    790 bytes · Views: 483
I vote Racine,

Deck and straight ribs. I could not tell from the pictures if the outwales were riveted to the inwales.

At first I thought is was a Kennebec.

Later,

Paul

The Indian and Indian Girl both had tapered ribs and a wider stem.

Look for the serial number on the 2nd or 3rd rib off the stem.

Pic attached.

Paul

Attachments

• Racine Stem.jpg.jpg
    Racine Stem.jpg.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 319
Well, I could see a Racine, perhaps. The lobes on the heart shape deck seem somewhere between the two (Racine and Rushton), but this is Wisconsin, so Racine is more likely. I'll have to dig around and see what they had for 15 footers. Both ends seem quite narrow, then it broadens out a little. Pus the seats are hung, no yoke. stern narrow.JPG stern deck 6.JPG stern deck pinched.JPG

Does anyone know about the beveled underside of the deck? There may be a bolt running under the deck. The bow and stern are both quite 'pinched' in, then it broadens out. The seats are both hung, no yoke. Since this is Wisconsin, I could easily buy the Racine. Anyone have any info about them, particularly a 15 footer? Not much on Dragonfly. Can;t wait to give it a try. Unfortunately, my recent surgery means no river water for two more months....
stern narrow.JPG stern deck 5.JPG bow deck 3.JPG

Racine Chippewa,

Pages from 1922 cat attached. (get your copy of the catalog CD at the WCHA store)

BTW did you find rivets?

Paul

Attachments

• PAGE-08.jpg
    PAGE-08.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 329
  • PAGE-09.jpg
    PAGE-09.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 329
I think that's it. Pointed on the ends, bigger in the middle. Actually, I think you nailed it. WIsh I could find my 4 CD set! (just moved, can't find nuttin).

I think Racine Chippewa. Although, there are no rivets. Screws in the outers, no holes in the inners, which look original. My Kennebec Torpedo doesn't have heart shaped deck, btw, at least not rounded lobes. This one looks faster than my 15' Thompson Ranger. Its narrower on the ends, a little narrower across the beam, and slightly rounder bottom. Can't wait to take it out for a paddle on Thursday. Note photo, no rivets on the inside. stern deck side screws.jpg

Found serial number

I found the serial number " 15 17" stamped on a rib under the seat. Its a 15 footer. Also, her is another deck photo. Any more guesses? Does the serial number mean anything? Thanks folks. It appears the front seat has been moved forward, from where the front thwart now is.

Attachments

• stern deck pinched.JPG
    stern deck pinched.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 319
  • !Racine Chippewa up side.JPG
    !Racine Chippewa up side.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 305
Back