Throw bag ??

If you have ever been on the recieving end of a rescue rope, you would opt for the best available regardless of the price.

As I understand the Canadian Federal law

Aside from life jackets and paddling devices - ALL pleasure watercraft in Canada MUST have a " Marine Safety Kit " which at least will contain one working waterproof light, one floating 15 meter line, a sound signaling device and a bailing device. These kits are available in all Canadian sporting goods stores for about $10.00. [ see pictures ] A Google search will tell all. They are not big, clumbersome or heavy. For repairs I wrap some duct tape around the flash light base. Also for added safety throw in a lighter, ambroid glue and a knife.
If your pleasure watercraft has a motor the operator MUST have a "Pleasure Craft Operator Card". This includes children. Information on this is available at www.tc.gc.ca and www.boaterexam.com. It is a min. $250.00 fine if you don't have one. These Canadian laws are applicable not only to Canadians but to anyone who is visiting from outside Canada.

Attachments

• Marine safety kit 001.jpg
    Marine safety kit 001.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 339
  • Marine safety kit 002.jpg
    Marine safety kit 002.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 364
What about the costs?

Back to the original post.
Does anyone have a relatively cheap source for a throw bag?

Back to your original post.

Canadian law does not require a throw bag. It does require a "Marine Safety Kit" in each canoe even if you are a visitor to Canada.

Your telling us/me that all the hundreds of folks going up into Canada through International Falls to fish have this operators card???? And a "Marine Safety Kit"????

I haven't been to Canada fishing in a lot of years but this seems very unlikely (to be happening). I wonder if the resort owners help get these things or provide them.

?????
Dan

Well here is the answer to my question, from the Canada gov link;

** Applies to non-residents operating their pleasure craft in Canadian waters after 44 consecutive days.

If your pleasure watercraft has a motor the operator MUST have a "Pleasure Craft Operator Card".

Last edited:
Denis and I-- along with dozens of others-- learned about the kit-items when we were at the Assembly in Peterborough. I recall we came up with an innocent-sounding plea should any of us be stopped by the authorities. Risky as it was, many headed out for adventures on the water, sans anything more than the paddles and PFD.

I like the idea of making my own kit, using the home-made bailer WoodNCanvas described (recycle-recycle-recycle) and will check the dollar stores for the other stuff on the list.

I also like the idea of using a large, sturdy, waterproof canine of the retriever-variety as an emergency device, instead of a throw-bag.

Kathy

Back