St. Louis Meramec Questions

Feathers

LOVES Wooden Canoes
So I have recently purchased a late 1920's St. Louis Meramec Canoe (as those that may have read my first thread in the W/C forum already know). So here is one of my first questions. The boat has three holes on the front deck. One large and two small. The previous owner tells me there was a metal arrowhead with an opening and a chain of some sort that went there. But there were some 25 years between his first attempt to restore the canoe and the actual restoration. And he can no longer find this arrowhead.

At first I thought "I'll bet somebody has one of those lying around that I could get". Then I've done some research. Not likely. I can't even find a single photograph of one of these. To further my confusion I can't find another photo of a St. Louis with what he describes was there. I can't even find a photo of another one with holes like this. So now I wonder if it was original, or perhaps an option or something? I'm hoping somebody out there can help out with a photograph of what one of these things looked like or some information about it? I'm attaching a photo of the front deck to show the holes.

The previous owner has been graciously digging through boxes in his attic still attempting to find it for me, but it seems unlikely.

Front Deck.jpg

I could be wrong, but that looks like a place where a flag holder may have been installed. You might check with wcha member Wally Hauck. He has extensive Meramec Canoe Co. Knowledge. Congrats on the purchase. I have a Meramec, but it is in rough condition and may be a while before it's back in the water.

Adam

It would have looked like this.

I spent HOURS searching the internet trying to find a photo of that and it took about a half hour to see a photo after posting the question here. I think I'm going to like this place. Do you know if they were used only for the St. Louis Canoe Company boats from the 20's or also by the later St. Louis Boat and Canoe? If they were used by both my chances of finding one some day go up. If it's just from the 20's...well, anybody making reproductions of that thing?

I could be wrong, but that looks like a place where a flag holder may have been installed. You might check with wcha member Wally Hauck. He has extensive Meramec Canoe Co. Knowledge. Congrats on the purchase. I have a Meramec, but it is in rough condition and may be a while before it's back in the water.

Adam

Thanks, I do have an email out to Wally but haven't heard back. He's going to help us out with a reproduction sticker for the St. Louis Canoe Company. Should look pretty nice on there.

That particular fitting was on a Meraco Speedster, which turns up in catalogs 1925-1928 at a minimum (those are the only ones I have). The Speedster was awarded a design patent in 1928 (filed in 1926).

If one could be located (and Wally Hauck may be your best bet as he and the Strassers have their finger on the pulse of all things Meraco) it would not be hard to make a repro. For example, I hope to have my bronze foundry up and running within the year, though I am a sand-caster and lost wax may give a better result.

And as Adam suggests, it's purpose was most likely a flagstaff holder.

That particular fitting was on a Meraco Speedster, which turns up in catalogs 1925-1928 at a minimum (those are the only ones I have). The Speedster was awarded a design patent in 1928 (filed in 1926).

If one could be located (and Wally Hauck may be your best bet as he and the Strassers have their finger on the pulse of all things Meraco) it would not be hard to make a repro. For example, I hope to have my bronze foundry up and running within the year, though I am a sand-caster and lost wax may give a better result.

And as Adam suggests, it's purpose was most likely a flagstaff holder.

Thanks for your help Dan. I would be very interested in attempting to get a reproduction whether it's sand casting or lost wax. Or if anyone knows of one or has one that might be available let me know.

I forwarded the photo to the previous owner. He tells me that is the arrow that was on the canoe but that it isn't a flag holder. He says the one in the photo is incomplete and there was some type of ring with a chain that went through the hole presumably to tie a rope to. Thought anybody interested in reading this thread would find that interesting also.

And right he is, it turns out. It is well described in the attached pages from a 1927 catalog.

I learn something new every day!

Dan

Attachments

• Page-10.gif
    Page-10.gif
    428.2 KB · Views: 461
  • Page-11.gif
    Page-11.gif
    206.4 KB · Views: 468
  • Page-12.gif
    Page-12.gif
    271.3 KB · Views: 435
And right he is, it turns out. It is well described in the attached pages from a 1927 catalog.

I learn something new every day!

Dan
Thanks for sharing that- really enjoyed reading through it. I've been searching and searching trying to figure out what was on the canoe and there it is completely described. It lists the arrowhead as being a $1.50 option which would explain why the canoes I've been able to find photos of don't have it.

Hi I am John Harvey from Wiscasset Maine. I just bought a St louis Meramec Canoe. It is 18' long it very good condition - serial number 1031 - it even has the original Arrow Head sticker in the front deck. I am having trouble getting an information on this canoe. Is there any chance that I can get Wally's contact info - just his e-mail would do. I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide....

John

Hi I am John Harvey from Wiscasset Maine. I just bought a St louis Meramec Canoe. It is 18' long it very good condition - serial number 1031 - it even has the original Arrow Head sticker in the front deck. I am having trouble getting an information on this canoe. Is there any chance that I can get Wally's contact info - just his e-mail would do. I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide....

John

If you to to this old thread you will find a reply from Wally. Click on his name and there is an email link.

Concerning the bronze arrowheads.....
Last year I needed to have some bronze cast for another project, I also had a couple of arrowheads cast from an original one I had. Planning to have more cast later this year. Marty and I are planning to go to Jag Lake next week-end and I will bring one with me. I also plan to bring four Arrowhead canoes for people to look at (if I can finish welding up the trailer today and get it painted this week....Marty won't let me pull a trailer where the paint has faded to pink....right now reminds me of a 1960's submarine movie......) Also bringing a Penobscot/St. Louis Boat & Canoe "clone". Hope to see you there.......Wally

Last year I needed to have some bronze cast for another project, I also had a couple of arrowheads cast from an original one I had. Planning to have more cast later this year. Marty and I are planning to go to Jag Lake next week-end and I will bring one with me. I also plan to bring four Arrowhead canoes for people to look at (if I can finish welding up the trailer today and get it painted this week....Marty won't let me pull a trailer where the paint has faded to pink....right now reminds me of a 1960's submarine movie......) Also bringing a Penobscot/St. Louis Boat & Canoe "clone". Hope to see you there.......Wally

Well that is exciting news. We had given up on ever finding an arrowhead for the canoe so we will happily purchase the reproduction you're bringing if you are willing to sell it. Also looking forward to seeing more St. Louis canoes if you get the trailer rolling. We will be there with our Meramec and a couple other wood canvas canoes.

Thanks to the kindness of Wally this 2 1/2 year old thread has come to a very happy conclusion. He generously presented me with a bronze arrowhead reproduction at the Jag Lake gathering. Once we had the canoe home I took the wooden arrowhead I had made (to hide the holes in the deck) off, and set the bronze one on. It fits perfectly and exactly. I'll need to pick up some screws, but I'm attaching a photo of it just sitting on the deck. Both my wife and I are excited to see an arrowhead back on the old canoe and appreciative of Wally for his thoughtfulness.

Arrowhead-1.jpg

Back