spots after stripping and rib cracks

jwil

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Greetings great posts all.. fairly new to the site I am in the process or refinishing/restoring a 1946 ot hw and have just finished the first round of stripping(I see why folks pay for this to be done!) and I still have blotches showing is this something which can be removed? I recall reading of a teak restorer would that be what is suggested to use? Also if you can suggest if the cracked ribs look like they should be fixed rather than replaced and if so where might I find information on fixing them. thanks DSC_0033.jpgDSC_0030.jpgDSC_0031.jpgDSC_0032.jpg

Usually cracked ribs are replaced outright, unless there is some compelling reason to retain the old wood (e.g. a historically significant canoe). In that case, a backside rib repair, which is described in Wooden Canoe Issue 65, would be one way to repair them.

I still have blotches showing is this something which can be removed? I recall reading of a teak restorer would that be what is suggested to use?

Sorry to hear that you have blotches :eek:

For the canoe, follow the stripper with TSP and then Snappy Teak Nu.
Jamestown is offering free shipping right now.
Their two piece kit does include brushes even though it says not. You may want extra of part two.

Follow Dan's advice for the ribs.

thanks all this is such a great forum I just joined who knows might have this one done to take to Ny next year.

Back