Seeking information

I love the wording on this decal-- very "old timey".

This earlier "equipments decal" may not have been used long... and it was so long ago I'm amazed any intact decals survived! Since it doesn't seem that Morris manufactured his own "equipments", it may have made more sense to talk only about the canoes, as his later decals do.

The transition from the "equipments decal" to the "rowing decal" happened about the time that canoes were entering the recreational period (The Golden Age of the Canoe), and the public was being encouraged to get out on the water with a paddle-- and maybe a girl and a mandolin... no need for a lot of other equipments.

Kathy,

The 18 footer has the S/N plate tack holes on the port inwale at the location of the rib that goes under the splayed end of the stem. There are no other decals or plates on this canoe. Both canoes have 3 cant ribs. The 15 footer has tack holes for the missing S/N plate in the exact same location. The H&D Folsom brass plate on the bow deck of the 15 has what we believe to be the canoe S/N of 3649 hand stamped into it. An earlier post in this thread showed a similiar plate on a Morris deck that Rolin restored some years ago. That number is lower than this one and lends credence to conclude that it is in fact the transferred S/N from the Morris factory plate. I believe that you have previously dated both of these Morrises for the previous owners at circa 1905 construction year.

I'm tickled pink to have both canoes. Plan to use the 15 solo on chapter organized trips and the 18 when my wife can accomany me. Kinda looks like other canoes in the collection might get less use now!!! The 18 has #8 canvas and that might help explain why the canvas is yet in excellent condition. I'm wondering what number canvas is on the 15. Both canoes have the stem bands riveted on which I believe would indicate that the canvas has not been replaced.

I plan on bringing the 15 to assembly next July. Hope to see you and Denis there and look forward to meeting you both. I doubt that it will look any different than it looks now but maybe.

Ed

Ed

I'm glad to see that you let Kathy know where the canoe ended up. Glad that you're enjoying it. To our knowledge the canvas has never been replaced.

jan Goller

It's very cool knowing these two canoes are in original canvas and are still water-worthy after more than 100 years! Interesting too, to know the weight of the original canvas.

I'm already psyched about next July's Assembly!

Kathy

Back