Peterborough Model 44 (Canadien)

M. Hazeltine

Our family has a Peterborough Model 44 cedar strip canoe. I am looking to restore it. It has been in dry storage under our house (but very dry). It is in reasonable condition - no rot, no broken boards. My plan is to start working on it in the spring. At the risk of getting too much information what is the best starting point? Does one typically strip off the old varnish and assess the overall condition?

Attachments

• peterborough exterior.png
    peterborough exterior.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 256
  • peterborough interior.png
    peterborough interior.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 259
  • peterborough tag.png
    peterborough tag.png
    877.6 KB · Views: 238
M, in a similar position. Recently acquired a couple older canoes and just getting into restoring them. Ben very impressed with the information on this site and the depth of knowledge folks will share. Good luck, looks like a great boat!

If you do a Youtube search on "Walter Walker Canoe" you will get several very helpful videos detailing the construction process of your canoe. I recently restored a similar Lakefield and found those videos extremely helpful. Be careful nailing in any new planking. You can't use a clinching iron as you drive in the tacks. Rather drive them through and slide the clinching iron over the protruding ends to bend them over. Otherwise the narrow rib will split.

Reactions: MGC
Back