Peterborough measurements needed

woodrails

I am new to this site so I hope I don’t do anything wrong in this post.

I have begun building a cedar strip version of a 16 foot Peterborough using the offsets found in my old 1983 copy of Canoecraft. I would like to add the long decks with coaming. I could use measurements of the distance from the stem to where the coaming meets the gunwales and also from the stem to the center point of the coaming. If the decks are different sizes fore and aft I would appreciate getting measurements from both.

I would also like measurements for the seat parts as well as distance from the center of the canoe to the nearest edge of both seats.

Would anyone happen to know which Peterborough model was used to create the offsets in that book? Has anyone here made that stripper?

I was a WCHA member from 1980-1988 or so and then fell away. I restored a Morris sailing canoe back then which I still have. The Adirondack guide boat that is hanging in the library at Paul Smiths was once mine. I sold it to the couple that then donated it to Paul Smiths. Now that I’m retired I want to build this legacy canoe to give to my son.

This is the type of deck I’m wanting to do.

Attachments

• 3C2BE4EA-8794-4644-9576-E80470434BE8.jpeg
    3C2BE4EA-8794-4644-9576-E80470434BE8.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 205
From the tip of the stem (including thickness of stem band):
To the centre of the deck 25 1/2 inches
To where the deck ends at the gunnel 31 1/4 inches.

Don't have seats, just thwarts.

. . . . and just realised mines a 15' 6" model - but don't suppose that would make a difference to the deck sizes.

Sam

That helps a lot. Several other things that I had not thought of…..

How thick are the deck boards?

How thick is the narrow board running down the center? And how wide is it at the stem and at the coaming?

Back