Our New Canoe

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
Now that it's in the barn, I can speak about it and not worry that the canoe gods will change their minds...

A woman Denis did some work for lives on a lake. Her neighbors pulled an old canoe out of their boathouse and tried to paddle it... but when it took on water, they ditched it. The woman and her husband pulled it out of the drink and called Denis... asking if he'd maybe like to have it.

Before we saw it, I told Denis it would be a 15 foot Morris, pre-1900, with historical significance. The canoe gods were listening.

At first, it looked strange... odd outwales and decks like nobody ever made or would consider making unless it was for Aunt Bee of Mayberry and the canoe was going to hang in her kitchen. But the guys turned it over, and I saw the ribs. And then I saw the stem. And then I noticed the absolutely exquisite single thwart.

It took a while to notice the NAME PLATE in the middle of the thwart because it was painted over. Yup. First one of these I've seen.

I'll attach pictures. The mahogany thwart has a gentle curve and is rounded-- kind of an oval that's really nice to run through the hand. Reminds me of other very old canoes.

Two pairs of cant ribs... and with that interesting thwart and very interesting name plate (BN Morris/Builder/Veazie, ME), I'm putting this canoe pre-1900.

Other interesting stuff: wide planking. Outside stems... double outside stems actually... and the first one slips into a groove on the underside of the canoe just before the keel. The upper outside stem meets the keel (the way they commonly do) and then the keel segues into a shoe keel.

I don't see signs of rivets the way we do with other Morris canoes. Some steel screws in outside stem.

Ribs are 2" at widest point and taper to 7/8"... seems a bit smaller than our other Morris canoes.

This canoe needs work but is soooo pretty. Needs decks and seats and outwales and lots of planking... probably ribs and who knows what.

Kathy

Attachments

• Morris 15 stern profile.jpg
    Morris 15 stern profile.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 402
  • Morris 15 detail OSSplus.jpg
    Morris 15 detail OSSplus.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 387
  • Morris 15 thwart2.jpg
    Morris 15 thwart2.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 380
  • Morris 15 nametag.jpg
    Morris 15 nametag.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 455
  • Morris 15 thwart.jpg
    Morris 15 thwart.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 390
  • Morris 15 er 001.jpg
    Morris 15 er 001.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 449
Here are some stats: 15'3" , Center of thwart 74 inches from the peak of the rear shear, width of tumble home 33" , width at top of gunnels 31 1/2", depth is 11 3/16 " from planking to top of cap rail, ribs actually 2 1/8 inches wide., thickness is approx 3/8 [I forgot to measure it], stem band is 3/8 wide with a flat back, planking is either 4" and some is 4 1/2 inches. It has an interesting double outside stem [ Kathy will have to post photos of that for me]
Exciting little boat and I am very grateful to the folks who gave it to us.
Denis

Here are pictures Denis wanted to post. Can't get enough of that little tag! One wonders why Morris discontinued using an actual name plate such as this... must have thought it enough to have a decal. Perhaps once he began using the serial number plates, it seemed too "plated-up" to have a name plate too?

The other two pictures show the double outside stem.

There are several pounds of paint on the interior of the canoe, and we are thinking of taking it to be dip-stripped.

Attachments

• Morris tag from Den's camera.JPG
    Morris tag from Den's camera.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 363
  • Morris double outside stem feature.JPG
    Morris double outside stem feature.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 359
  • Morris double outside stem nother pic.JPG
    Morris double outside stem nother pic.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 379
! One wonders why Morris discontinued using an actual name plate such as this... must have thought it enough to have a decal. Perhaps once he began using the serial number plates, it seemed too "plated-up" to have a name plate too?

Decals are cheaper.... and don't forget, they were just running a factory, not a canoe boutique. like we do now...

Nice!

One wonders why Morris discontinued using an actual name plate such as this... ?

That's a keeper. Nice!

I agree that it's early and I have theory about the tag.
It's almost a clone of the EH Gerrish tags.
One reads EH Gerrish, Maker.
The other reads BN Morris, Builder......
BN was a skilled marketeer and I think he may have decided to go on his own and do something unique rather than use a "me too" tag.
Here is my EH tag. You can see the resemblance.
The Morris tag is nicer looking and as Dan said, more costly. That also may have played a role.

Mike
IMG_1141.JPG

Last edited:
Couldn't happen to a nicer couple of folks. And having just stripped varnish all summer, I'd vote for the dipper guy.

One reads EH Gerrish, Maker.
The other reads BN Morris, Builder......

Mike, you raise an interesting point, because in the vintage fishing rod world, there was a clear distinction between a "maker" and a "builder." A
"maker" built rods from scratch, starting with raw materials, whereas a "builder" built rods from pre-fabricated parts. As Evan Gerrish was also a maker of fishing rods (before he built canoes) it is not surprising he would use the same moniker...

I agree, couldn't happen to nicer folks, congratulations Kathy and Denis.

A very nice canoe, and that name plate, wonderful.

I looked at pics of another 15 ft Morris, 2972, and the ribs in yours look narrower then the later canoe.

Dan

Denis & Kathy,
Peggy & I are happy for you, well deserved find! It found you, and deserves the care and attention you'll give her. We thought we got a deal, wow! I'll put something together this week about our hull, things are slowing down.
Dave

there was a clear distinction between a "maker" and a "builder." A "maker" built rods from scratch, starting with raw materials, whereas a "builder" built rods from pre-fabricated parts. As Evan Gerrish was also a maker of fishing rods (before he built canoes) it is not surprising he would use the same moniker...

That's an even more interesting thought actually...

With Gerrish and White all operating fairly close (minutes) to each other, I'm sure that they were paying pretty close attention to each other.

Builder notation

The "Builder" notation is interesting because it is found on many of the canoes from this era. The Indian Old Town Canoe company plate and earliest known Old Town Canoe company name plates both included this as shown below. The later Old Town Canoe decals still include "Manufactured by" to this day. Another reason for this is to distinguish the builders from the retailers and liveries which often put their own tags on the canoes. Nice find!

Benson

Attachments

• 1904-1473.JPG
    1904-1473.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 351
  • IOTC-1.jpg
    IOTC-1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 337
The photos of the outside stem show the triple stems. The first is the inside stem [not seen], then there is the first outside stem which is inlet into the canoe planking [first stem photo]. This stem didn't seem to be attached except at the top and bottom. The canvas was over this stem and between it and the outside stem. The outside stem seems to be less robust than on our other Morris'. It is 1/2 inch wide tapering to the 3/8 by 5/8 high. It seems that it as well as the first stem are held on by screws- steel screws. Now all of this may be a result of previous work when the lovely plywood decks were put on. I'm in the process of trying to carefully remove one such deck.
Denis

Kathy & Dennis,
What a great find and the price makes the deal even sweeter. Now I go to church nearly every week. What am I doing wrong that a canoe like doesn't fall in my lap? What canoe god should I be praying to? :)

I'm very happy for you. You have several canoes that we are all expecting to see restored at next years Assembly.

Jim C.

Back