Moving canoes?

normsims

Morris canoe fan
In Memoriam
I recall some advice on one of the forums about a company that moves canoes from one place to another around the country. Does anyone recall the name and location of those folks?

Second question. Would anyone be traveling from Michigan to New England anytime soon, and perhaps willing to carry a very narrow but canoe-length package of gunwales? You can reach me at sims at honors.umass.edu. Thanks.

Norm Sims

I'll be driving from Chicago to the Cleveland area the weekend after Labor Day, some deviations from I-80 would work for me. I can check if folks at the canoe event I'm going to would be willing to carry a canoe and/or some gunnel stock further east; there will be people there from Upstate NY, possibly NYC area, maybe even Maine.... How big is the gunnel stock bundle?

Paul,

These are D-shaped gunwales and top-caps for a 16 foot Morris. They're at my place in the Upper Peninsula of MI. I'll ask-around from my end, to learn if anyone here is heading your way soon.

Kathy

Kathy,

I'll be in Houghton this weekend... dropping off the kid at MTU. See your PM

This is starting out WAY too easy...

Thanks to Kathy, Paul, and Kim for helping out with this. The WCHA connection works again!

Norm

The WCHA pony express worked perfectly. My thanks to Kathy Klos, Paul Klonowski, and Kim Gass for making this work. The Morris gunwales arrived safely.

Norm

Invariably there is a canoe up there on my vehicle. Parts is no big deal as they can be secured to an already riding canoe. We do however have to trust each other for keeping in touch re rendezvous places and times. So far the WCHA Pony Express has never failed me. So I am happy to reciprocate because I have used it in the past.

Hope this is okay - I'm going to join in this discussion since it worked well for Norm. I tried posting on the Ride Board, but no support yet. In any case, I'd love to help others out whenever I can, and wonder if anyone can help me. I'd like to move two canoes - one from Maine to Florida and one from Michigan to Florida, or somewhere in the southeast. Is anyone coming down for winter? Thanks for any help!

Michael

I'd suggest keep bumping it up in the forum every few weeks. Eventually, somebody will be going your direction, and somebody else will bring it further... it may take a few handoffs, but you never know. Heck, I drove from Chicago to North Carolina unexpectedly this summer...

Where in Michigan? If it's the UP, we can get it to Chicago pretty easily.

Hope this is okay - I'm going to join in this discussion since it worked well for Norm. I tried posting on the Ride Board, but no support yet. In any case, I'd love to help others out whenever I can, and wonder if anyone can help me. I'd like to move two canoes - one from Maine to Florida and one from Michigan to Florida, or somewhere in the southeast. Is anyone coming down for winter? Thanks for any help!

Michael

I and my husband are. But we are Everglades bound in January with two solo boats. With three we would have to bring a trailer. We do have one but it incurs extra expense and could not do it for the nice price of free.

Back