Killbear Paddlers Rendezvous

john hupfield

fire starter/wood burner
Any one interested in the 99 billionth annual Paddlers Rendezvous at Killbear Provincial Park, Granite Saddle Campground, the weekend after Labour Day.
A Northern Lakes Chapter Event.
Georgian Bay, check last years photos.
John

Looks like the big outriggers will be back this year, even if Pearson isn't. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Any one interested in the 99 billionth annual Paddlers Rendezvous at Killbear Provincial Park, Granite Saddle Campground, the weekend after Labour Day.
A Northern Lakes Chapter Event.
Georgian Bay, check last years photos.
John

Geez, John. I didn't realize you were THAT old!

Whoa Mike,

Never commit such a sacrilegeous act. Old Chestnut cruisers are at the top of the canoe chain. Patty won't leave home without one.

Macky

Whoa Mike,

Never commit such a sacrilegeous act. Old Chestnut cruisers are at the top of the canoe chain. Patty won't leave home without one.

Macky

Macky, this old canoe is too far gone to be restored, especially with so better examples out there....got this one for free....and about what was worth LOL LOL....and I won't make an old canoe into shelves....so being donated to the fire gods....

Are you and Patty coming up to Killbear????

I would like to attend this year if there is space. Does one just show up at the park and follow the smell of old canvas and varnish? :) Or is there a registration process?
Paul

Paul, the park closes the Granite Saddle portion of the campground for the rendezvous, so advise them at the office on arrival that you want a site for the rendezvous. You can pick one from the map, or drive to the sites and phone them to confirm the number. I always get a central one but can never remember the number, its relatively informal. Look for the banner and old boats! Steve, practice your singing and dancing, the competition will be stiff this year!
http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/killb.html

I'm interested to know just how long a canoe burns for. This past weekend we burned up bits of an old Huron we had and the planking burns bright, hot and very fast even just as broken pieces in a campfire. The varnish on planking and ribs gives a nice colour but even the ribs go fast. So, just how long does a whole canoe last? I'm thinking less than a half hour.

Certainly . Aluminum ones last longer but you can use them for reflector ovens. I would not suggest plastic canoes due to the noxious vapours.

Weather couldnt deter us - still a fine gathering and as always the scenery is incomparable. Chris, the water was 22 degrees; a fine temp for swimming!
Cedarstrips, cedar canvas, sailing canoes, a norwegian pram and a laser zipped around between downpours. Good times with good people yet again.

Attachments

• IMG_4909.jpg
    IMG_4909.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_4910.jpg
    IMG_4910.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_4888.jpg
    IMG_4888.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_4862.jpg
    IMG_4862.jpg