Canoe Nut
Great Rivers Chapter
Wooden Canoe Heritage Association
In cooperation with
Lake County Forest Preserve District Paddlesport Volunteers

Spring (Pre) Earth Day Paddle and River Clean-Up

Des Plaines River, northeastern Illinois

April 13

Meet at the Van Patten Woods Forest Preserve in the northeast corner of Lake County, north of Waukegan, Illinois. From I-94 or Rte 41, take Rte 173 east to the entrance of the Preserve on the left. Enter and take the first right turn into the parking lot. Shuttles and river section to paddle will be arranged from there. Gathering time is 9 a.m.

Dress for the weather and bring any tools that will help you grab trash from your canoe. Trash bags will be provided. This is a fun paddle. No heavy lifting required.

Prizes will be awarded for several categories, including most trash, largest single piece of trash, most unusual piece of trash, and others.

After the clean-up, we will gather at Sterling Lake (within the Van Patten Woods site) for a Bring-Your-Own-lunch, socializing and additional paddling on the lake.

Other paddlesport organizations and a few retailers, outfitters are also expected.

For more information: Paul Klonowski, 847-687-2477

Great Rivers Chapter Paddle

Hi,

Hopefully I have attached a map for the Earth Day Paddle.

Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• April13_2008.pdf
    239.9 KB · Views: 417
Great Rivers Spring Earth Day Paddle Update

The river's in flood stage, and with rain in the forecast, the DNR has placed a recreational boating restriction on the river in Lake County. Apparently, it's okay to paddle further downstream in Cook County, but not in Lake County. Don't get me started...

With rain in the forecast, and the snowpack still melting, the restriction isn't likely to get lifted any time soon, so we're going to Plan B: Meet at the boat launch (marked on the map) at 9AM, and we'll paddle around/clean up the lake instead. Hey, no car shuttles needed!

Bring your own lunch for the picnic/gathering afterwards.

Truth be told, the lake is still mostly frozen, so this may be a bust... keep your fingers crossed!

The ice is out from this lake, but the water temp is 33.5F. DEEP (and I do mean DEEP) mud is all around the lakeshore. Due to safety concerns, the Forest Preserve District Staff & I decided to cancel this event. We'll try to set something up later this summer, but the calendar here looks pretty booked up until September...

Back