Canoe Nut
Hi all Midwest canoe nuts:

Great Rivers Chapter

Wooden Canoe Heritage Association

Fall Color Get Together

Jag Lake Campground , Northern Highlands-American Legion State Forest

Boulder Junction, Vilas County

September 12-14

The Jag lake Campground is located about two-thirds of the way between Woodruff and Boulder Junction in Vilas County , Wisconsin .

The campground sits on a small ridge above the lake with a great view of the lake. The lake has a sand beach for swimming and canoe put-in. The campsite allows tents only, but there is a nearby private campground that can accommodate pop-up campers and trailers.

The Manitowish River is nearby for those who want to paddle a small river. For the anglers among us, the lake has muskies, walleyes, smallmouth bass and panfish, and there are many other lakes in the area.

There are restaurants and shopping and an excellent bike trail system in Boulder Junction, just 7 miles to the northeast.

Side trips might include a visit to Dave’s canoe shop, the Lac du Flambeau Museum of local native culture, and lots more.

Plan to arrive Friday. Group dinner/grill out Saturday evening provided by the Chapter. The Chapter will prepay the group camping fee. A $10 fee per camp is requested.

Contact Dave Osborn, 715-892-7391, or Gene Ott , 920-563-8715

Activities Update

Ferdy and I will be providing firewood, and a fish fry on Saturday evening. I will be canvasing a Kennebec on Saturday at the campground, or at my shop if the weather is bad. Ferdy will have a birchbark canoe available for anyone to paddle, and quite possibly his 61st bark canoe. (As of now it is still staked on the sand bed.)
The museum is cool, and it is Colorama weekend in Boulder Junction, so there are lots of things going on.
Dave

Dave Osborn said:
Ferdy and I will be providing firewood, and a fish fry on Saturday evening. I will be canvasing a Kennebec on Saturday at the campground, or at my shop if the weather is bad. Ferdy will have a birchbark canoe available for anyone to paddle, and quite possibly his 61st bark canoe. (As of now it is still staked on the sand bed.)
The museum is cool, and it is Colorama weekend in Boulder Junction, so there are lots of things going on.
Dave

Have been making progress on no. 61 but it's a long way from floating;)
FG

Attachments

• Ash Canoe setup 030.jpg
    Ash Canoe setup 030.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 517
  • Ash Canoe setup 021.jpg
    Ash Canoe setup 021.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 507
  • Ash Canoe setup 029.jpg
    Ash Canoe setup 029.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 512
Bump

Just a bump to get this back on top of the list. I encourage anybody in the area to come on out even if only for the day. I'm looking forward to putting faces to the names. :)

Expecting a good turn out!

Looks to be a good turn out for this event. Approx. 25 people have RSVPed, and I expect drop in's from locals as well. The local newspaper did a nice job of putting the info out a week ago as their lead story in the outdoor sports column. It's not too late to decide to join us!
Cheers to all!
Dave Osborn
715-892-7391

Kathryn,

Thank you so much for doing the video.
Only one problem, Alfie got so much video time that he is now impossible to live with. He is demanding a silk bed, canned food and a diamond studded harness.:D

Thanks for the memories!
Howard

Jag Lake

I just returned to cyberspace as it is a loooong way across the UP, eh?
Ferd and Dave-thank you for the wonderful hospitality. Mike and I had a ball even with the rain. As I was gassing up near Iron Wood, a guy stopped and commented on the canoes on my trailer. That led to him offering me a 20's vintage Old Town. After switching a canoe onto Mike's truck, we headed for the Big Mac and my camp in Red Oak with an 18' HW. We did the entire 420 miles from Dave's house to my place, in the rain, arriving near 11pm Sunday evening. Great time was had by all. The fish dinner was wonderful.

18' HW,

I have a friend who is looking for an 18' HW.

His grandfather bought his Mom one in about 1932 and he has fond memories of his family surrounding that canoe and wants an 18' HW.

Let me know if you think about selling it.

Thanks,

Paul

HW find

Paul;
Should I decide to sell it I will let you know. there is work to be done on it. A quick eyeball saw 5-8 ribs, some planking, stem ends as well as the tips of the inside rails. the outside rails also need work on the ends.I would also replace the decks. There is a floor rack but it doesn't appear to be originol. When I get back to camp I will get the stem number and peruse the build record. Will get back to you should I decide to let it go. I have several OT's but no HW.

Back