Great Rivers Chapter Jag Lake Outing

Otter

Gene Ott Canoeist/Builder
Greetings,
The Great Rivers Chapter Jag Lake Outing in northern Wisconsin was a success. Ten tents were pitched Friday, 9/12/08, in sunny 70 degree weather. One group of campers stayed at a nearby campground just down the road in their camping trailer. Some participants stayed at nearby residences. Total attendance counting people stopping in through the weekend was just over thirty people. People came from all corners of Wisconsin, northern Illinois, Michigan and the UP. Eighteen canoes and a traditional West Greenland kayak were paddled on Jag Lake. Canoes represented were wood canvas canoes and strip canoes built by their owners, a restored Old Town, restored Thompson, a Morris, a Willits, a Penn Yan King Fisher rowing canoe and three birch bark canoes. A couple of newer composite canoes were present. We enjoyed paddling each others canoes experiencing how each canoe performs in it's own way. Dave Osborn and Ferdy Goode hosted the event and did a great job. Dave demonstrated canvasing a canoe. Ferdy demonstrated selecting wood and shaving ribs with the crooked knife for birch bark canoes. Beaver also demonstrated how to pitch a birch bark canoe. A highlight of the weekend for me was paddling Beaver's birch bark canoe. Returning home I started making a crooked knife, I see building a birch bark canoe in my future. Saturday morning brought cooler, overcast weather with threats of rain. The rain stayed away until it was time to prepare for the group fish fry. Dave and Ferdy donated the fish caught in local lakes. The fish was fried to perfection by Ferdy over a open campfire in the largest frying pan that I have seen. The pan has been in Ferdy's family for a long time and has seen may wilderness camping trips. The pan just had to make the fish taste better. It also works great as a umbrella. Daves expertise at breading the fish and his recipe also helped I am sure. Dinner was delayed while every free tarp in camp was erected in very inventive ways by all to provide cover for cooking and eating. A steady rain lasted for two to three hours through dinner. That's camping! Spirits remained high and a good time was had by all eating and socializing. The beer and wine may have helped. Call me crazy, I enjoy camping, even in the rain. A number of participants commented they had a good time and would like to see the event repeated next year. Dave and Ferdy have agreed to go fishing again ( tough job, but somebody has to do it ) so we hope to see you there next year. I have tried a number of times to post pictures from the outing and do not seem to be able to make it work. I will try again later.

Otter said:
Greetings,
The Great Rivers Chapter Jag Lake Outing in northern Wisconsin was a success. Ten tents were pitched Friday, 9/12/08, in sunny 70 degree weather. One group of campers stayed at a nearby campground just down the road in their camping trailer. Some participants stayed at nearby residences. Total attendance counting people stopping in through the weekend was just over thirty people. People came from all corners of Wisconsin, northern Illinois, Michigan and the UP. Eighteen canoes and a traditional West Greenland kayak were paddled on Jag Lake. Canoes represented were wood canvas canoes and strip canoes built by their owners, a restored Old Town, restored Thompson, a Morris, a Willits, a Penn Yan King Fisher rowing canoe and three birch bark canoes. A couple of newer composite canoes were present. We enjoyed paddling each others canoes experiencing how each canoe performs in it's own way. Dave Osborn and Ferdy Goode hosted the event and did a great job. Dave demonstrated canvasing a canoe. Ferdy demonstrated selecting wood and shaving ribs with the crooked knife for birch bark canoes. Beaver also demonstrated how to pitch a birch bark canoe. A highlight of the weekend for me was paddling Beaver's birch bark canoe. Returning home I started making a crooked knife, I see building a birch bark canoe in my future. Saturday morning brought cooler, overcast weather with threats of rain. The rain stayed away until it was time to prepare for the group fish fry. Dave and Ferdy donated the fish caught in local lakes. The fish was fried to perfection by Ferdy over a open campfire in the largest frying pan that I have seen. The pan has been in Ferdy's family for a long time and has seen may wilderness camping trips. The pan just had to make the fish taste better. It also works great as a umbrella. Daves expertise at breading the fish and his recipe also helped I am sure. Dinner was delayed while every free tarp in camp was erected in very inventive ways by all to provide cover for cooking and eating. A steady rain lasted for two to three hours through dinner. That's camping! Spirits remained high and a good time was had by all eating and socializing. The beer and wine may have helped. Call me crazy, I enjoy camping, even in the rain. A number of participants commented they had a good time and would like to see the event repeated next year. Dave and Ferdy have agreed to go fishing again ( tough job, but somebody has to do it ) so we hope to see you there next year. I have tried a number of times to post pictures from the outing and do not seem to be able to make it work. I will try again later.

The Beaver got a few shots off while at the event:cool:

Attachments

• Jag Lake 08 004.jpg
    Jag Lake 08 004.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 418
  • Jag Lake 08 005.jpg
    Jag Lake 08 005.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 414
  • Jag Lake 08 007.jpg
    Jag Lake 08 007.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 427
  • Jag Lake 08 013.jpg