Gaps in old planking.

Rbm

Curious about Wooden Canoes
1920's vintage Old Town has gaps between planks as much as 3/16" Does this need to be addressed in the restoration process? Linseed Oil or new planking or some other solution.

Linseed oil won't swell these gaps shut.
Other than new planking, I'm not aware of any remedy.
Don't use a filler or caulk!
Most people tend to just leave them.

On one canoe that I restored that had historical significance and needed to be as original as possible, I colored the inside of the canvas a brownish color to lessen the appearance of stark white canvas in gaps up to 1/4" .

Thanks for the information. The issue is mostly only on the bottom which makes me wary of just leaving them - a decision will need to be made. I had thought of cutting out an inch on each side of the bigger gaps and inserting a 2 3/16" wide plank to provide some protection for the canvas.

Like Dave said. The longer the canvas stays wet the more likely it will rot prematurely. Those gaps will allow quicker drying. Over a quarter inch might be a problem. One exception: if there is a big gap right at the centerline and you need something there that will accept a screw, I would fill that one with a strip. Tom McCloud

Back