Double Blade Paddle

Craig Johnson

Lifetime member
A while back I was soloing when the wind picked up. Wasn't to bad but I was tired and didn't feel like I was making much progress. Both of my paddles have long flat grips so I tried holding them together and using them like a double blade paddle. It worked pretty well so I decided to try to make a couple paddles that would clip together. Here is what I came up with. The cam locks are deer antler. Paddles are sassafras.
Too much time on my hands I guess.
Just polishing up my skills before I start in on that American Chestnut I got from Andre. Thats next.

Attachments

• DSC06360.jpg
    DSC06360.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 665
  • DSC06362.jpg
    DSC06362.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 626
  • DSC06363.jpg
    DSC06363.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 677
  • DSC06364.jpg
    DSC06364.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 625
  • DSC06365.jpg
    DSC06365.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 621
  • DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 650
Just a bit of genius in that. Well done!

I've lashed two paddles together, to get the same effect, but that was simple. This is a whole lot more solid...

Lovely Project

What a beautiful paddle! Do you think I need one of these? Or should I concentrate on the J-stroke -- using a longer slimmer blade?

Thanks Millie. Stick with learning to control a canoe with a single paddle, a double blade is a poor substitute, although useful in some circumstances.
What a beautiful paddle! Do you think I need one of these? Or should I concentrate on the J-stroke -- using a longer slimmer blade?

As skills are developed with the single-bladed paddle, the perceived need for the double-bladed paddle decreases. You reach a point where the only time you might need a double-blade is going upstream, and against the wind. But a canoe pole works better than a double-bladed paddle...

I modified a Greenland kayak paddle by lengthing it to about 9' ( scarfed in a bit of wood) and turning it into a two piece with one of the Duckworks ferrules. Just the ticket for taking my Jerry Stelmok Willowwisp up wind on a big lake. Narrow blades mean no feathering, and little windage; the canted Greenland forward stroke works fine until the gusts are hard enough to stop you in your tracks.

My Dad made a Greenland style paddle from a spruce two by. It's not as elegant as a true Greenland, but it's light and flexible, with blades slim enough to be easy on the shoulders. It's my favorite paddle.

Back