canoe2.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 561
  • canoe3.jpg
    canoe3.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 589
  • canoe5.jpg
    canoe5.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 498
:confused: Interesting!............Has the characteristics of a Chestnut but according to the list there was nothing with those specs!......Looks Canadian though and appears to have a fair amount of rocker! Was meant for portaging by the placement and style of that thwart! Will be interested in any feedback on this one.............should be a good restoration project!;)

Yes, there is a shoe keel and yes, it has been fiberglassed. I am wondering if it is worth the trouble of restoration?
Also, the decks are kind of rough and look like they have been replaced?
I cannot find any serial numbers, just this registration tag from Ohio.
Any Idea on how old the registration tag might be?

Attachments

• canoe7.jpg
    canoe7.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 480
  • canoe5.jpg
    canoe5.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 473
My guess is that it is one of the canoes that came out of the Huron region in Quebec...

Keel looks standard, not shoe, to me...

Hi Dan;
Ted over here in South Paris.........Looks similar to the Chestnut I am doing right now..........Long narrow taper that flares out to a shoe. Also has the stem band extending over the keel for about 8-10 inches is like mine...I guess if he contacted Ohio they could give some history on when it was registered..BUT. as the site you sent me says, it doesnt fit any of those dimensions on your list. AND!!!.Those hand carved decks seem to suggest that your right...Looks home made instead of a company version...As to his inquiry on year.......... Like you stated........unfortunately no records were kept and the builders became diverse..........

What is the difference between a shoe keel and a standard keel?
I think the decks were most likely replaced when someone fiberglassed the boat.

A Leritz said:
What is the difference between a shoe keel and a standard keel?

A shoe keel is thin and wide (1/2" x 3" or so, tapering to the ends). A "standard" keel is usually about 7/8" high by 7/8" wide at the base.

Not a shoe keel!

Sorry Dan!...You were right. I enlarged the pic and what I was looking at was the opposite site of the keel. Its a standard keel and not a shoe!...But then, no one has ever said I had perfect vision!:rolleyes:

I second the suggestion to contact Ohio DNR Watercraft division. When a canoe with no hull identification number is to be regeistered it must be taken to a Watercraft Division office and inspected by an officer. He fills out a form which contains a fair amount of information about the craft. I don't know whether they keep those, but I suspect they do. The tag in your boat indicates that it would have gone through this process. The form would indicate the manufacturer if known or whether it was home built.

Last edited:
I checked with the Ohio Division of Watercraft and they were able to tell me that the boat was first registered in the 1960's and that it was listed as built in 1961, builder unknown. Does that help with actually identifying a builder? Anything show up in 1961 printed material?

Thanks for everyones imput.

Dan Miller said:
My guess is that it is one of the canoes that came out of the Huron region in Quebec...

My first guess, from what limited experience I have, is that looks very much like a Faber, which is from that Huron region.
Sears, and previous to that, Simpson’s of Canada, sold them from the mail order catalogue.
It's those heart shaped decks that remind me of those canoes. Maybe whoever restored tried to replicate the original.

Paul

If this canoe was built in 1961 then what is the chance that it came originally fiberglassed? How could i tell if it has ever been canvassed?

Wooden ribbed canoes of that vintage were "NEVER" fiberglassed. Just prior to going out of business Chestnut did sell a few "ALL" fiberglass canoes.The only company I know that does clear fiberglass on wooden ribbed canoes is Langford which I believe are still available today. There may be others but I don't believe yours was one of them.

Last edited:
A Leritz said:
If this canoe was built in 1961 then what is the chance that it came originally fiberglassed? How could i tell if it has ever been canvassed?

The bottom of page 19 in the 1957 Chestnut Canoe Company Catalog lists a "moulded plastic" version of their 16 foot long Deer model for the first time. This model was described on page 6 of their 1961 catalog as being a "fibreglass canoe." The White Canoe Company first listed "Fiberglass Covered" wooden canoes on the bottom of their 1958 price list. The Old Town Canoe Company first introduced their F.G. model on page 5 of the 1965 catalog with "fiberglass reinforced plastic construction" and their wooden Trapper model was first listed on the bottom of page 6 in their 1967 catalog with "polypropylene fiber reinforced plastic in place of canvas." This model is still available today in clear or "natural" finish. There is a chance that your canoe may have originally had fiberglass in place of canvas if it was built in 1961.

You can check for tack holes along the stems and gunwales to determine if your canoe ever had canvas.

Benson

Last edited:
Would the keel on a canvass covered boat be painted? The keel on this boat is obviously painted but I also have a 1931 O.T. OTCA that has a keel that runs the full length and is not painted.

Thanks

Back