Denis Kallery

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
Denis passed on this morning. He frequently boasted of having been a member of the WCHA since its early days-- he was number 926. He followed that up by adding, "I am not a joiner", letting folks know that this organization was something so special that he had to be part of it.

Today, as I walked the dogs and listened to the birdsong and felt the wind on my face, I thought of Henry Thoreau's words following the death of his brother:

"Soon the ice will melt, and the blackbirds sing along the river which he frequented, as pleasantly as ever. The same everlasting serenity will appear in this face of God, and we will not be sorrowful, if he is not."

Kathy

Kathryn,
We are sorry to hear the news. You were both missed this past week.

Take care, Macky

May the wind be at your back and the portages short, Denis.

Our condolences to you, Kathy, and the rest of Denis's family.

Dan and Lynn

What a special guy Denis was, and remains.

Online or in person, we were all lucky to have known him.
Big hugs to you, Kathy.

I never got to meet Denis....except through this forum....my thoughts and prayers go out to his family....and especially Kathyrn....I thought I'd share these words I found online some time back:

Requiem for a Paddler

So many times
we sat in the woodsmoke of morning
as the sun searched out our camp.

We felt the touch of a Creator
whose name we did not know.

Someone conceived these places,
and dreamed the perfect shape of a canoe.

So many times
we would talk without speaking,
move with a knowing.

Someone created us,
not each of us, but the two of us
- the something that makes us as one.

You are packed
and leaving on a solo run.
I will follow in time
with hope that the current carries me
where you have gone
and we will once again sit in the rising mist

together.

I pray there is a God. - Peter G. Gilchrist

Kathy,

My heart goes out to you. I am so saddened to hear this. I will always have such fond memories of our time together with you and Denis, especially at the house last year. Denis was such a kind and caring person. He will be greatly missed as we loved him. Sending my thoughts and prayers to you. Take care of yourself. Hugs to you........

Love,
Patty

Dear Kathryn, We missed you both at Assembly. On the way south on Sunday Susan and I stopped at the "fresh doughnut laundromat" in Tupper Lake ,NY. We remembered bumping into you both there last summer and visiting with you and Denis, a fond memory. We send our condolences, Dana Harlan and Susan Worley

In May I was thinking of Denis while I was stripping varnish from a canoe. I planned a trip north and was contemplating a detour up tp M'Quette to see Denis and Kathy but was unsure as to if I should or should not. then my cell phone rang and it was Denis. "hey Dave, can you swing by and help a friend canvas his 50 pounder? " I was blessed to be able to spend time with him, and we talked. And Denis introduced me to another friend. And yes, the canoe got canvas. And then I got to visit the Marquette Historical society and see the canoe exihib, orchestrated by Denis and see the log buildings there, restored by Denis. My heart goes out to Denis' family. His memory and influence will live on.

May he rest in peace... he was such a special person...we are better people for knowing him..
Kathy, keep in touch and please pass our condolences to Denis' family. Fred and Aleta

Kathy,
My deepest sympathy and condolences. He will be missed. We met in Peterborough.
Mark Z.

Happy Trails, Denis, and warmest regards to Kathy & the families. We only met a handful of times, but I'll always remember his warm welcomes.

Oh Kathy, such a loss. You were blessed to have known and loved Denis—and to have been loved by him.
Please send my condolences to his family. Thinking of you.
Patty

Keep paddling

I was lucky to live close enough to get to be with and paddle with Denis more than many. He was a true and reliable friend who was always fun to be with. A great wooden canoe enthusiast all of us and our WCHA organization will miss. He fought a tough fight and won a longer time than was predicted..including being at Assembly 2011. When time is precious and one still makes being with us and wooden canoes a high priority it say a lot about Denis...and or group.
I will recall many good times with him regularly while I paddle on. And miss him.

Kathy,
So saddened to hear this news. My deepest condolences to you and Denis' family. I will always remember him and think of him often while working in the shop. He and I made plans over this forum to get together at the 2011 Assembly to discuss our mutual passion, BN Morrises, and compare our work experiences with the Fish and Wildlife Service. We did both at multiple meetings and walks around the green looking at canoes. Can you just visualize Denis and Andy Griffith sitting around a campfire up there discussing, you got it , canoes. I surely can.

Ed Moses

I will miss you Denis, and my prayers are with you Kathy. I will make him proud of the Gerrish and dedicate it to his life.

Back