Chicago Boat Show

Paul Miller

Canoe Nut
Hi Everyone,

This year I can give you all a heads up.

The Antique Classic Boat Society have been invited to participate in the boat show again this year and as a member I extend that invitation to myself and the WCHA.

Peter Mueller and I had a great time at the show last year with 4 canoe and I was going to have 3 canoes and Peter's OT Raceplane there, when just today we were notified of additional space being provided. So who knows I might bring 6 canoes.

The show starts Wednesday January 12th through Sunday January 16th, so stop by and say Hi if you're in the area.

I have attached a few pics of last years exhibit.

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 528
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 533
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
The smell of vanish in the morning and sunlight on all wood canoes.

The attached is a picture of some of the canoes we will have on display at the boat show.

On top is Peter's "Bush" canoe, second is the Model 1430 Peterborough of mine and on the horses ready for a final outside coat of vanish is my William English Model 20.

The canoe on the bottom of the rack is Peter's other "Bush" canoe with the alternating plank.

Later,
Paul

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 552
Pics from the Boat Show.

I have attached a few picture of our canoes and the Raceplane at the Chicago Boat Show.

The first pic shows three all wood Canadian built canoes on the rack. On top is Peter's W.T. Bush 3 board Rib&Batten, middle is the Peterborough model 1430 raced by Gene Jensen in 1948 to his first marathon victory, bottom is my Wm. English Model 20 4 board Rib&Batten.

The vast majority of show goers have thought them all to be "NEW" canoes. 90% who walk by feel the vanish, I guess it's irresistible. Many jump back when you them them the canoes are 70 to 100 years old.

The second picture show the Raceplane and my 16' Morris in the back round with original leeboard thwart, leeboards, and mast thwart, but I used a 60' OT sail as was red and white and very tall. You can see it from quite a distance.

I have the WCHA banner hanging on the back side of the canoe rack.

Stop by if your in the area,

Paul

Attachments

• IMG00136-20110112-1554.jpg
    IMG00136-20110112-1554.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG00137-20110112-1554.jpg
    IMG00137-20110112-1554.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 510
DOH :eek:

It's amazing the conclusions that people will draw. A local mag writer did a piece on my canoe building (very rare in Alabama!) and attributed the durability of wood canvas construction to the metal bands that get attached to the hull prior to canvasing! (Where did that come from?)

Form - canoe, canoe - form. I even offered to do sanity check on his draft. "Not necessary, I've got it!" Oh well, the pictures were nice.

How about---

Why not ACHA. for aluminum canoe heritage association. Except for all the 'God bless you's' you'll get.
-"i belong to acha"
--God bless you, but what do you belong to?
Acha,
--God bless you, but what's the name of the organization?
the name is acha.
--God bless you, but the name. what is it?
ACHA
--I said 'God bless you', but the name of the group, what is it?
That's it.
--What's it?
That
--What?
Acha!
"God bless you." Ok, when you joined the group and you got your membership card, what's the name on the card?

Why not ACHA. for aluminum canoe heritage association.

There actually was an Aluminum Canoe Heritage Association for a short while within the last decade or so. They even had a web site for a few years after the WCHA got this web site running. It is gone now and I haven't been able to find it with the Wayback Machine at http://www.archive.org/web/web.php because I can't recall their domain name. They did not use www.acha.org since this was already in use by the American College Health Association.

Benson

Back