Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Canvas mits

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by ken mueller, Sep 2, 2007.

1. ken mueller

ken mueller Canton, Ohio

I needed to make several canvas mits for smoothing the canvas filler. Can't sew. After cutting out the right size for the mit, I put a bead of Gorilla Glue around the edge, then pressed both pieces between a board with a car battery on top. Did 8 mits all at the same time. Works great!

2. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

cant sew

please dont tell us you mend socks and pants with it...:eek:

3. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

Canas mits

..or, worse yet -- your underwear! :eek:

4. Douglas Ingram

Douglas Ingram Red River Canoe & Paddle

Regular wood glue works well, too. Been doing that for years. I highly reccomend the adheisve sewing technique. Don't really need the battery, just press tight and wait.

5. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

Thanks,
    I'll try it.

It sounds better then the safety pins I was using. :)

Dan

6. MikeCav

MikeCav Restorer/Videographer

Last time, I just used an office stapler - just keep the seams away from your hands!

7. Douglas Ingram

Douglas Ingram Red River Canoe & Paddle

I've tried the stapler method, too. Glue is a nicer result, but with the staples you're ready to go right away if you've forgotten to glue up a mitt in advance...

8. Todd Bradshaw

Todd Bradshaw Sailmaker

Hot glue gun. Sixty seconds later it's ready to go.

9. Mark Adams

Mark Adams all wood nut

Mother in law with a sewing machine. and she sewed a jillion of em!

10. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

canvas mitts

Sounds like a cottage industry in the making...

11. Steve Baker

Steve Baker New Member

Canvas mitts

I use canvas work gloves: $1.79 a pair at the hardware store. :cool:

Steve Baker #469

12. Blue Viking

Blue Viking Wooden Canoe Maniac

I took an old wooden cement trowel with a handle and tacked some rug around it. Then I stapled left over canvas to that and when it is saturated I remove it and staple on another piece...........works fine for me for that first good rub in!

13. Dave Wermuth

Dave Wermuth Who hid my paddle?

What am I doing wrong?

great ideas about 'mits' But when I go to rub in the filler I tend to stick to the filler and smudge it up. makes it less smooth. Any hints?

14. Blue Viking

:) In Rollin's description in his book, he suggests only doing a litttle section at a time, having a helper roll it on, and then following with a good rub in while it is good and liquid...I dont have a helper but switch tasks very efficiently! havent had a problem so far!

15. Blue Viking

Oops!

:confused: Oops.........maybe it was Jerry's description!......Now I will have to check to see who does it that way!.........anyway........it works!

16. Dave Wermuth

Dave Wermuth Who hid my paddle?

Aha!

I am waiting too long. I do the whole thing and then go to rubbing. I got to make a trowel now.

17. OP
    OP
    ken mueller

ken mueller Canton, Ohio

Wow! I thought I had a novel idea with the Gorilla Glue! Looks like a lot of you beat me to it. Same thing happened when I invented the internet...

18. Brian DeRose

Brian DeRose Curious about Wooden Canoes

Where to buy Canvas mits

I would like to know if anyone can tell me where to buy canvas mits? This is my first canoe that I'm restoring. I want to do it rite. No half _____

Brian H Derose

Attached Files:

19. MikeCav

MikeCav Restorer/Videographer

Brian - read further back in this thread - plenty of suggestions for using work gloves, or DIY from the canvas scraps you will have. You are just rubbing in goop, not painting a Picasso, so any solution works.

20. Brian DeRose

Brian DeRose Curious about Wooden Canoes

canvas mit or glove?

Would cotton canvas gloves work? If I were to use a mit would it go on smoother?