Canoe ID help

Randy Hess

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Can you help me ID this Canoe? I think it's an Old Town, Charles River maybe? Wood and Canvas. I'm not sure

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• stern end.jpg
    stern end.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 302
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 317
  • OT label.jpg
    OT label.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 301
  • keel.jpg
    keel.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 308
  • Hull.jpg
    Hull.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 302
  • brass into keel.jpg
    brass into keel.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 293
  • brass end strip.jpg
    brass end strip.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 302
  • bow seat.jpg
    bow seat.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 300
  • bow end.jpg
    bow end.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 301
  • boat in living room.jpg
    boat in living room.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 276
Hi Randy. I am surprised others have not commented yet. There are many here that know more about the Old Town models but yours looks to be a 15' light weight or "50 pounder" model. You'd need to find one of the smaller versions to get down to the 50 pound weight as the 15' version was a little closer to 60 pounds. (They came in 11', 13' and 15' lengths). One of the visual clues is the shape of the decks. The LW models had a simple radius as yours has when most all of the other models had a more complex shaped profile. The best way to get a positive ID is to look for the canoe's serial number which should be stamped on the top face of the stem on the inside of the canoe. (Both ends). It will likely be a 6 digit number with a space and a 2 digit number noting the length of the canoe. In this case it should be 15. Sometimes the numbers are erased by over zealous sanding during a refinish. If you find the numbers post them back here and we can find details of the canoe's construction.

Right off, I can't tell who the maker of this canoe is. 15' Old Town canoes only had one thwart. This one has two. OT, after 1923 or so, had diamond head bolts. This does nor appear to have them-but then again, my eyes aren't as good as they once were. The deck cutout isn't quite like an OT. My best guess is a Penn Yan or a Mullins based solely on the deck shape. I have been wrong many times before, but on a rare occasion, have been correct.

Thanks guys. A good case of engaging one's mouth before engaging the brain. Two seats, check. No diamond head bolts, check. Deck shape, oh, there is a slight opposite radius at the inner gunnel, check. All dead giveaways. Edit: Bang plates are different too.

Back