Canoe Building Book Suggestions

Veinot

Originally posted in the wooden boats forum and someone from there suggested I post here;

"Hi All;
My wife wants a canoe so I have been looking for a good book with plans to follow and was wondering if anyone has used a book to build a canoe and could drop some pictures of the result. I am familiar skin on frame construction, currently building a kayak for myself using this method. I would prefer to do something in the stitch and glue method because I do not have a lot of space for a mold or forms.
The kind of canoe she wants is a double touring canoe; I would like to also build a open double paddle canoe for my oldest as a first boat."

Let me know, thanks,

That is a lot; I think on hind sight the issue is, well 2 things; a I am new to building boats and never tried a stitch and glue, 2 is with all the options I am not sure what I want really. From the other forum I think I have it narrowed down, for my wife, a prospector or Canadain styled canoe. For the oldest, anything easy to build geared to new paddlers. So I guess what I should ask is what would you, as in all of you, suggest for a first time build that has had good success?

Back