Can you I.D. this pre-1935 Cedar Strip 14ft?

roadmann

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I picked up this 14ft cedar strip (runabout?) that was said to be at least from 1935 (father had it when this guy was born in '35) and it's been in three generations of same family. Was thought to have possibly been purchased at T. Eatons of Toronto. May be a production of Peterborough/Alcan company, but unsure. I cannot locate any serial number or other markings or plates. I am not a professional wood boat measurer, but these are some dimensions I have come up with:
13'10'' L. bow tip-transom
53 1/2'' W. outer gunwales; 51'' W. inside from plank to plank
approx. 19 1/2'' D at center
Rib width is 7/8'', 2 1/8'' spacing between ribs
Plank thickness 1 1/2'' each
Staples used attaching ribs to planking on the inside.
There is a keel, about 1''.
Thickness of the wood that run along the sides the length of the boat is 1 1/4'' (rocker strip?)
I know the top of the canopy is not original, and it appears the transom brace is newer and the floor planking is something the guy started but did not attempt to finish.
I wish to offer it to someone like a hobbiest who would return this craft to it's former self and hopefully keep it for his own kids. I simply cannot do this project (time/knowledge).
If anyone can give me some sort of history about who-what-where this boat comes from, I'd be most grateful.
The former owner lived in the Niagara Region of Ontario, Canada and used it extensively near Muskoka in Northern Ontario.
Mike

Attachments

• SUNP0208.JPG
    SUNP0208.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 546
  • SUNP0206.JPG
    SUNP0206.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 419
  • SUNP0210.JPG
    SUNP0210.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 430
  • SUNP0211.JPG
    SUNP0211.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 382
  • SUNP0214.JPG
    SUNP0214.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 389
  • SUNP0218.JPG
    SUNP0218.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 405
My gut instinct is to blurt out "Peterborough Canoe Company, Lakeside model" Dick Person will be along shortly to provide a more knowledgeable response.

Hello Roadman,

Check the transom knee for the model/work order number. I believe it is a Peterborough Canoe Co runabout model called the Zephyr, with model #1816. However, the Zephyr wasn't introduced until 1948 or so, which is not fitting with the owners memory as presented above.

Dick Persson
Buckhorn Canoe Co

Last edited:
I was assured that this boat had been around since 1935. I've found a Giesler Sportsman that is built today, and it sure does look very much like mine.
I have sent out a note/pics to Giesler in Huntsville asking them if it's possible.
Absolutely no markings at all, lest they've worn off.
We shall see...

Back