Can anyone identify these 2 canoes from the pics?

Just stopped by the estate sale to look at the canoes. They look to be in great shape. The one has been identified as an Old Town w/ serial number reportedly in the 4200's. It has an Old Town decal on the deck. Check the link above, new pics were added. The other is as of yet unidentified. I did notice that the screws are not-Robertson, the long deck is thick without any subframe and there are four planks per side at midships. The seats have metal end caps on the outside of the hull. The canvas appears to be very thin and under a layer of paint nicely painted is the name "Donna" or "Danna". Both boats reportedly came from the Long Boat Co. in Rochester, NY on the Genesee River. Silent bids are being taken until Saturday. Any ideas? Threehouse?

Also very interesting is that there appears to be a shoe molding feature running underneath the entire length of the outwale.

Last edited:
The one has been identified as an Old Town w/ serial number reportedly in the 4200's. It has an Old Town decal on the deck.

Can you sent me the serial number? I've had two people contact me about this canoe but none of the serial numbers they have given matched the length. The canoe doesn't look like an Old Town with a four digit serial number so I suspect that there is a hidden fifth digit.

Benson

Doh! It was so dark in the attic I didn't actually see the s/n. A gentleman working for the estate sale told me it was in the 4200's. Sorry. I bid on both boats, if I get lucky I'll let you know!

4129400.jpg

Probably not a Threehouse - the Threehouse canoes I have seen have narrower planking (10 planks per side) and flat ribs...

The Old Town double gunnel canoe looks to be 16' long and likely was built in the teens so Benson's request for another digit would certainly be correct. 14,200 might be close for the serial number. From the photos I could not tell that the other canoe was canvas covered. My guess is that the canvas was added after the canoe leaked. That would explain the shoe molding under the outwale.

Does anybody know why the old town decal has a completely white background? I haven't seen any really old OT decals recently, but this one doesn't look right to me. I'm relatively certain that the canoe is an Old Town.

Here`s a photo of a very well preserved OT decal from around 1910, or thereabouts. Note that it does not have the words "Trade Mark" along the thin edge of the black cross bar. The background is a cream color and the scroll is a very mellow gold. Benson probably has other examples.

Attachments

• P1120097.jpg
    P1120097.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 329
Does anybody know why the old town decal has a completely white background?

There appears to be a wide variation in how these decals change in color over time. The images below show some examples from 1914 to 1949.

The trade mark notation appears to have been added to the decals in the 1930s although the transition may have occurred over many years. The catalogs don't show this consistently either. The 1911 catalog cover at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/covers/large-11.gif has it but the 1910 one at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/covers/large-10.gif and the 1912 at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/covers/large-12.gif do not.

These long decked Old Towns with double mahogany gunwales appear to have been popular in Rochester. The one shown at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?3823-Double-gunwales&p=19415#post19415 also came from there.

Good luck to all at the auction,

Benson

Attachments

• 1914-29440.jpg
    1914-29440.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 322
  • 1914-33164.jpg
    1914-33164.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 324
  • 1932-109711.jpg
    1932-109711.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 1936-112321.jpg
    1936-112321.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 321
  • 1946-147087.jpg
    1946-147087.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 310
  • 1949-152926.jpg
    1949-152926.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
The Old Town is serial number 25238-15 delivered to Rochester, NY. April of 1913.

Still not sure what the All Wood canoe is but as Gil mentioned there is evidence it was canvased sometime in it's life. They have both found a new home here in Elburn.

A copy of the build record is attached. I was not able to add it as a picture so it's a PDF.

Paul

Attachments

• build record.pdf
    245 KB · Views: 364
Wow, a 15' HW double gunwale. With the 2 thwarts, I assumed that it was a 16' canoe. I've only ever seen one 15' HW, a 1908 open gunwale.

Congrats on the auction win. I have to admit I had no clue as to how to bid competitively. I was naively hoping no one else was paying attention but the lack of buzz on the forum should have been a tell. lol

Back