"Baptism" By Fire

WoodNCanvas

LOVES Wooden Canoes
When I was a student (in University of Toronto’s Physical and Health Education program), I worked for one of my profs at his summer camp. Kirk Wipper was somebody who you couldn’t help but be inspired by. He made you get involved in the outdoors….in the whole experience of being outside….in any weather or any season….but he was most infestious when it came to canoeing. Kirk had built up a collection of canoes, kayaks, rowing craft, and skin boats that became the Kanawa Canoe Museum (most of the collection is now in the Canadian Canoe Museum in Peterborough....which I believe many of you have had the opportunity to see....especially at the 2008 Assembly). Kanawa was found on the same property as Camp Kandalore was….Kandalore was a boys’ tripping camp that stressed canoeing in its programs….especially tripping throughout Ontario from Algonquin and Temagami, with the more senior trips taking routes to James Bay. The canoe was certainly a focal point to the entire Kandalore experience….whether at the summer camp or programs run in the off season for various groups. So it was a “privilege” to be hired as Kandalore staff….I hadn’t come up through the system as a camper….I wasn’t one of the “Kandalore Boys”….but I loved all that Kandalore stood for after having been up there for a week or two as a Phys. Ed. student at the required fall camp in second year. As much as Kirk might have painted how fortunate Kandalore was to have me as a staff member (Kirk was able to paint things in a very positive light most times….and it was hard to turn him down in any request….whether working at Kandalore….or picking up a canoe for the museum in some far-off province….or helping to build Kanawa’s log building by “taking” a log building course there run by Alan Mackie….Kirk had a way to get things done….and getting others involved), I soon found out that the regular program staff weren’t quite sure what to make of me. I had the most basic of canoeing skills….actually the most basic of outdoors skills period. So I found myself working in the kitchen with the the “mad chef” Yorgan. But I wasn’t in the kitchen all of the time. I was rooming with the head canoe instructor….and able to get out in one of the camp canoes whenever possible….so I worked on my paddling….practising a proper J stroke instead of the “goon stroke”….eventually developing the Canadian stroke (or “slicing J stroke”)….plus basic strokes such as the draw, the pry, and forward and reverse sweeps….becoming able to eventually make a canoe move with style and grace forward, backwards, sideways, and in turns and spins….to literally make the canoe dance. By now, I had gotten out of the kitchen progressing to teaching archery (the program director was brave to let me lead a group of kids in the use of sharp projectiles LOL LOL….though seriously I was able to teach the basics of the bow and arrow without any loss of life, limb or eyes)….and also helped out with nature studies and craft activities. I was becoming part of the Kandalore gang…taking part in the staff jug band (we performed at a local watering hole besides camp events….great way to get free beer)….getting to meet some great folks like Bill Mason (who showed off his then new film series on canoeing instruction The Path Of The Paddle), Omer Stringer (an amazing paddler/teacher in his own right), James Raffan (a Kandalore boy/staff, later author and coordinator of the Co-op Program In Outdoor and Experiential Education of Queen’s University’s Faculty of Education and more recently the head of the Canadian Canoe Museum) and so many others…..and getting to take part in one of the first ever WCHA Assemblies held up in that area....and especially in the special camp programs like Kandalore Chapter.

Kandalore Chapter was the final evening of the group’s program, where the whole group gathered on Chapel Island (a quiet spot of rocks and trees for reflection and even prayer; it was joined to the mainland by a long bridge)….there was a ghost story of a mad trapper told by Fred Loosemore (the then program director)….songs and music supplied by various staff….and then the “release of their memories” at the end of the event as they set off to bed (each group was divided into smaller numbers and directed to write down what had been most important for them during their time at Kandalore….this was written down on a piece of paper which they they then folded so nobody else could see what had been written….each smaller group was given a large glass jar partly filled with sand that had a candle mounted in the middle….the idea was that at the end of the night each small group would light the candle and then put their written memories inside the jar….each jar was then released from the shore of Chapel Island with the thought that their memories would be burned by the candle’s flame and remain there at Kandalore….but also in each participant’s heart as they could see the lighted jars floating on the dark waters of the lake as they returned to their beds….twinking like the stars in the heavens above. Of course these jars were gathered up after an appropriate time before they sunk. In fact usually before all the “messages in the bottles” had burned up….there usually was some sort of comment about one staff member or another….especially from young school age girls smitten with certain male staff….so it was one way to tell the “popularity” of certain staff….but more importantly about what had been the biggest impact on them being at Kandalore….usually just being up north for the first time for those from the inner city….and seeing wild places and things first hand for the first time.

Now the Kandalore Chapter opened with a parade of torchlit canoes (wood canvas canoes from the Kandalore fleet) literally doing a ballet on the water. Turning and pivoting this way and that….intertwining with each other….the torches bow and stern adding to the dance on the water with a dance of light. There was usually four or more canoes involved….paddled by the most proficient paddlers on staff (of which there were many). At the end of the canoe ballet, all but one canoe would extinguish their torches….the one canoe would paddle to the rock coming out of the water just off Chapel Island where a huge supply of wood had been piled for the bonfire needed for the rest of the Kandalore Chapter’s evening activities and performances….this rock was appropriately named Firepit Island….there was a pot of kerosene hidden at the bottom of the pile of wood that would be ignited by one of the torches from the canoe that was to set the fire off….then the torches of that canoe would be extinguished and the paddler would disappear into the dark as the rest of the activities would go on.

It was a great honour to be included in the canoe ballet opening Kandalore Chapter. I was asked to take part after several weeks of serious practise. It was amazing to glide out on the water with other canoes putting on a magical show. I paddled in a few such ”parades of lights”. I was eventually asked to take on the most important task of lighting the bonfire on Firepit Island.

That evening started off as planned….the ballet of six canoes with lit torches bow and stern literally danced before the eyes of a school group from Toronto…..and then the other five canoes snuffed out their flames while the lone canoe made its way towards Firepit Island. Remember to all on the shore of Chapel Island they couldn’t see the pile of wood on the rock coming literally out of the water directly opposite them. So they became caught up in the whole magic of the moment, oohing and aahing as the canoes did their dance; even more "oohs" and "aahs" as the majority of the canoes put out their lights leaving the solo canoe to continue on. The bonfire on Firepit Island was usually set off with a great flourish once the kerosene pot was touched; and this caused a definite delighted response from the gathered crowd. However problems occurred when it came my turn to set off that fire.

I had paddled a glorious dance with the others….and had masterfully landed my canoe on the rock with the bundles of wood….I took the torch from the bow of my canoe and reached forward to ignite the hidden kerosene pot….but nothing happened…..I tried again….still nothing….this happened a few more times….the waiting throng began to shuffle in their seats wondering what was supposed to be going on. So I tried yet again….this time my torch touched the very centre of the kerosene pot, setting off an explosion of flame….this brought a gasp of appreciation from the spectators on Chapel Island….however it caught me completely off guard….I took several steps backwards as the mass of flames ignited almost in my face….of course there was little or no land behind me….just water….very deep water…..so I ended up treading water for a moment or two before I was able to pull myself out and return to my canoe….and paddle off into the night.

The crowd on Chapel Island must have thought it was part of the regular show….because all they saw was a sudden burst of fire….followed by a few splashes as it seemed the selected firestarter literally tried to walk on water with the obvious results….my unintended swim brought a round of applause and an explanation (and reminder) from the emcee (Fred) that one should never “play” with fire….and that at first that I was just continuing the water dance sans canoe LOL LOL….I was embarassed but pleased that most (other than other Kandalore staff) didn’t know that it wasn’t the usual way to “start” the fire. I did receive a lot of good-natured comments (and was even "nominated" for the “Fire Starter Of The Year” award) And I was even more pleased that I was allowed to take part in later canoe ballets….although I never had to light the bonfire again after that first attempt.

Last edited:
John, no medal given by Kirk....and fortunately I never set myself or more importantly one of the canoes on fire....but I did learn a lot from Kirk as one of his students and as Kandalore staff....even how to start a fire properly with the "finest of the fine"....with a single match not kerosene LOL LOL....but more important a real appreciation for canoes, especially wood canoes....and learned a lot about paddling....from watching great folks like Fred Loosemore, Wendy Grater, and Mike Ketemer (who would sometimes do a very inspired version of “Barnacle Bill The Sailor”….all of the verses....in Latin….but usually not at the Kandalore Chapters LOL LOL....Mike is an amazing paddler....and guitarist/musician....at one time he was the resident manager of the Kanawa collection).

Last edited:
Back