B. N. Morris - Serial Search

cabisson

Hey all,

I've got a beautiful 17' B. N. Morris that I'd love to know a little more about. The previous owner "violated" it a little by removing the canvas, and applying a fiberglass mesh covered in resin. The gloss wood beneath has a beautiful look under the resin, but it would take some real dedication to do a true restoration on it.

Serial: 5873

Thanks for the help!

There are no existing Morris records that we know of, but considerable work has been done trying to correlate serial numbers with the year the canoe might have been built. If your canoe has an oval serial number plate on the left inwale above the first full rib, serial number 5873 suggests a build-year of 1908. If the serial number plate is a rectangle with rounded corners, placed on the stem, there may be a one in front of the five, or the canoe could be a factory-direct Veazie model. A 1908 Morris would have a heart-shaped deck.

There should be a wealth of Morris info in these forums, in past discussions, which you can access using the search function. There are also articles in back issues of the journal Wooden Canoe, available through the WCHA Store here: http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-Magazine-Back-Issues/

No problem removing fiberglass if you like messy, hard work and the fun of getting to know your canoe really well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXILZU6Jm-s

If you post pictures, we might be able to tell you more...

Kathy

The hard part of removing fiberglass is just the tedium. Be very patient -- you don't want to start pulling off pieces of wood with the cloth. If you're lucky, it may be polyester resin, which is rumored to come off more easily than epoxy resin. Once the cloth is off, you get to clean up the rest of the resin; at this point, you have to be careful not to sand divots into the wood.

Good luck, and keep us posted! We like pictures, too...

Pictures you ask for, pictures you shall receive!

Attachments

• 20120902_132143.jpg
    20120902_132143.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 494
  • 20120902_132157.jpg
    20120902_132157.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 460
  • 20120902_132231.jpg
    20120902_132231.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 446
  • 20120902_132306.jpg
    20120902_132306.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 449
  • 20120902_132326.jpg
    20120902_132326.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 449
  • 20120902_132643.jpg
    20120902_132643.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 442
Cool. Approximately 1908 and a type three, with the long decks and outside stems-- probably Model A. The model can be hard to differentiate as canoe width and depth can be a bit "off" after 100 years and measurements in the catalogs may be inexact. Most Morris canoes are Model A or Model B (except for those that are very early and are called Special Indians).

You have pennant holders on the decks. The king planks (middle strip of wood on the decks) appear to have been replaced-- they originally would have tapered (narrow end at the tip of the canoe). Morris decks are two-piece and this wood strip covers the seam. Your decks appear to be 24" both ends... let me know if this isn't so. Are you missing the stem bands? These can be replaced. Your canoe has its original thwarts and seats, but is missing the middle thwart. This was on wing-nuts so it could be removed and as often happens, it seems to have gone missing. It isn't necessary to make a new one as you might remove it to accommodate dogs or extra people or supplies anyway.

Thanks for the pictures. Nice find!

Kathy

Kathy and Cory ( owner),

I looked at this canoe yesterday. Only 2o minutes from the house. It is indeed a beautiful Morris but unfortunately it is epoxy fibergalss on it and it has seeped throught the glass and is very much between the planks of the canoe (nightmare to remove) . It has a few issues besides the glass but they all do when they are 100 years old.

Kathy, I hope all is well as can be expected.

Zack Smith

Many thanks to everyone for the kind words and assistance with dating! I never imagined this canoe had such a history, when it came into my possession.

If you have any thoughts of restoring the canoe to original shape don't hesitate to call or ask for help. I am right down the road and you are welcome to check out the shop anytime. If you are thinking about restoring it plan on dedicating a few hurdred hours in it.
Zack

Zack,

I've really been on the fence since learning more of this canoe's history... I just don't think I've got the workshop space, or the time to properly dedicate to a project like this one. I'll still take you up on a shop tour someday though - I'd like my next boat project to be building a wooden one from the ground up.

If you know anyone interested in buying this one, pass 'em my way.

Thanks again!

Hi all,

Zack, how does one determine that "epoxy" resin was used? I have worked with both, and once finished, I am not able to tell the difference.

Thanks!

Mark,

When I saw the canoe in person I asked if it was epoxy fiberglass and Cory said it was. Once again, to bad. Nice canoe.

Zack

Back