1911 detroit boat company yukon river model wood canoe-help

alisad

We have had a 1911-12 Detroit Boat Co. Yukon River model wood and canvas canoe sitting in our barn for quite a few years. Finally have convinced my husband to let someone enjoy restoring the canoe...especially due to the fact that I do not believe either of us have spent much time rowing any type of boat. What I am looking for is any information in regards to the value of the canoe, if there is one, and, if so, we would like to sell and not end up dumping. A brief description to the best of ability is as follows: the canoe does not have the original stem band, approximately 1/3 length on ONLY one side of the outwale has previously been replaced, the decks are not in place but they are sitting inside of the canoe.. The canoe does have the original metal DBC tag along with a brass one which I have been told was probably the owner's name. The rest of the canoe I will let you be the judge of by the pictures. Thank you in advance for any and all help that anyone offers.

Attachments

• 100_6008.JPG
    100_6008.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 518
  • 100_6010.JPG
    100_6010.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 515
  • 100_6014.JPG
    100_6014.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 533
  • 100_6015.JPG
    100_6015.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 507
  • 100_6017.JPG
    100_6017.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 518
  • 100_6022.JPG
    100_6022.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 507
Thank you for your reply. After viewing the pics I have provided, are you able to suggest a starting amount or the least we should accept for the canoe? I have read the little information that is available regarding DBC and placing a value on a canoe. Unfortunately, this does not help me much. The brass name plate has the name HAROLD MARTIN on it. Again, thank you for the help and any other help will be appreciated.

After viewing the pics I have provided, are you able to suggest a starting amount or the least we should accept for the canoe?

No, I couldn't and wouldn't without seeing the canoe in person. There is no way I can evaluate how much work would be needed to restore it. There is also a lot of other variables that come into play, including what your local market is, how quickly you need to sell, how far off the beaten track you are, the dimensions and hull shape of the canoe, and on and on.

Your best reference is to look at the WCHA Classifieds (http://classifieds.wcha.org) to see what others are asking for canoes in similar condition. You can also search Ebay for completed auctions, but recognize that prices may be low there as shipping is an issue. Dave Wermuth's guidelines in the FAQ linked above are reasonable starting points.

I second what Dan says above. A personal inspection is needed. However, it is apparent even from the pictures that your canoe needs a pretty good amount of work.

To start with, it does not float, so you are in one of the two lower categories in Dave Wermuth’s guidelines.

It is clear that both the outside and inside of the canoe need to be stripped. Then, at a minimum, it seems that at least one inwale needs replacing, and it appears that both outwales and caprails are missing. Seats are missing. One of the deck supports seems to be missing, and while the one pictured deck needs a bit of detail work, there is no picture of the other deck. There are no obvious cracks in the ribs, but damage to ribs is often not apparent in photos. The planking doesn’t look too bad from the pictures, but it looks like some planking work is needed at the one end shown, and the other end may be similar. The unusual paint on the exterior of the canoe may well be hiding plank damage. Rot may be present in any of the wood, and often is not apparent in photos or even from a quick eye-ball check. Of course, new canvas, filled and painted, is needed. There well may be other issues

In other words, while this canoe seems restorable, it does need considerable work.

The other factors affecting price that Dan mentions are real.

If you do not plan to restore the canoe yourself, or have it restored, it would make sense to sell it, even though the sale will not make you rich. The canoe likely will only deteriorate if kept in storage – it will not gain in value.

Greg, thank you for the information. Gee, I never realized that there are so many different pieces to a canoe....like our Ski Nautique more and more! :eek: In response, there is the other deck I just did not take a pic of it...the deck is in same condition as the one seen it was just laying inside the canoe. The seats are, also, with the canoe just not shown. I will double check on the seats and condition, but if I recall they were right next to the deck. Have no intentions of getting rich I would really just enjoy to see it restored and my pic on the cover of CANOE magazine sitting in restored canoe. Obviously just kidding, but I would not mind getting a few bucks out of it if possible. Look forward to hearing more input.

Nothing wrong with wanting to get a few bucks out of your canoe. It's just that some people have wildly optimistic expectations for what an old canoe might be worth. The reality is that a restored canoe is usually worth not much more than the costs of time and material that go into restoration (sometimes less), unless the canoe is historically important or really, really unusual.

Your canoe, if restored properly, should be quite nice. I wish you luck with your sale.

A few years ago I bought a Detroit Hudson River model in similar condition (judging by the included photos only, of course) for $200. Actually what I bought was the brass tag for $199 and a canoe attached under it for a buck. In other words without the tag the canoe I bought had no pedigree and would have been just another UFO that needed a lot of work. With the tag it had value. Sort of like - a stallion with a pedigree is a stud. A stallion without a pedigree is Alpo. Just my two cents worth and even at two cents you may be over paying.

Jim C.

Just a quick note to tell all thank you much for your information regarding the canoe. For those interested, the canoe did sell and for quite a bit more than the $200. We received 3x that amount.....and the buyer promised to forward pics after restoring. I will be posting them...in a year or so!:rolleyes: Again, thank you for all the help!

Back