Seat placement on Stowe Osprey

Jamus Driscoll

Curious about Wooden Canoes
IMG_0283.jpeg

well, it would appear that there was a pilot error on my part. The post has no text! Ha.

What I meant to ask was, I'm getting ready to place seats in this canoe and I was wondering if anyone had measurements from a stowe/merrimack osprey that they could provide. I have built one from the old seats that came from it, but even with a generous allowance for the cross members, the stern seat appears too far back to my eye and I'd rather get this right! If anyone has measurements from their boat I would certainly appreciate it. thanks

Thank you Benson. I have written to them and hope to hear back. With regard to the picture, I've been using that as a reference and I was hoping to get more precise than "counting ribs." If I don't hear back I'll go that route, which is probably close enough. Appreciate the suggestions. Jamus

Hoping you hear back on the spacings.

In the event you don't ?
There is a formula, some what.

The leading edges of both seats should be the same distance from center.

On my tandem strippers, Make sure the Bow paddler has enough leg room, or they won't want to paddle with you. To me ? That is in the area of 55".
So measure from center of the canoe, to 55" aft of the bow. That will also give you the distance for the stern seat leading edge also.

My preference is to hang the leading edge of the stern seat 1/2"-3/4" lower, than the back edge of the stern seat. More comfortable.
The bow seats I hang level.

Another bit of advise ? Hang you seats low to start with. If you decide to change ? It's easier to raise a seat than to lower it. It saves making longer hanger brackets.

Good luck !

Jim

hello all! well, after hiatus from the building I am rounding the corner and heading for home. Last step is to weave the seats. Can anybody recommend an idiot's guide to doing this (huron style)? I have the nylon snowshoe webbing and am looking for a step-by-step guide. I have one to copy and after a couple of failed attempts (and unthreading and starting over) I am looking for something that breaks the weaving down into steps. thanks!

Back