Update on Varnish Stripper for the 2021/2022 Restoration Season

hopkintoncedar

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Did my due diligence search here on the board not finding much on what is the current concensus on modern stripper for old varnish, where do we stand right now? Thanks, Todd

Last edited:
With methylene chloride stripper no longer available for consumer use, it is difficult to get a reasonably priced decent stripper. I have had stripping done professionally for a long time.

With methylene chloride stripper no longer available for consumer use, it is difficult to get a reasonably priced decent stripper. I have had stripping done professionally for a long time.
So I should covet my gallon of original Zip Strip??? :)

I used Zar Paint & Varnish Remover for my last 2 projects. Although it's touted as being ecologically friendly it did seem to work quite well... although I needed to wait about 1 hour for it to work - and that was in warm weather. It was very easy on my my hands. But I looked the other day and Amazon didn't offer it. I ended up getting it mail order from Walmart just yesterday.

I do the same as Gil. I have a professional furniture stripper remove varnish for me.
It is costly and also three hours away, but the quality of the work outweighs those things.
He can do three in a day…..I can’t do three in a week!
Might be worth a call to a professional in your area.

The discussion of removers for varnish and paint is very useful but I have a 1913 OT with a very deep red stain in the interior. Haven't been able to touch it with strippers. Does any one have a product or process to bleach out stain?

Thanks, R.C.

RC
You might try a product called Snappy Teak NU. It is a mild acid application with a neutralizer. Available at Jamestown. That’s the only thing I can think of.
Stain is tough to draw out.
I once had an OT Square Stern that had red barn paint on the interior. The professional stripper that I use was able to remove the coating but the red stayed in the grain. Copious amounts of sanding did nothing. I ended up using a golden oak stain and that seemed to blend it all together without making it too dark.
Your mileage may vary…good luck.

Back