Willits Salesman Sample Paddle

Mark Adams

all wood nut
Hi All,

Some of you have probably noticed the "Willits Salesman Sample paddle" on Ebay. I talked to Pat Chapman about it today, and his advice to me was "Stay Away!". It is NOT authentic Willits. It does have a nice Willits plate, but that is it.

just a bit of FYI for those thinking it was too cool to pass up

Mark

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

When I talked to Pat about it, he expressed concern that the shape was nothing like a Willits paddle. It seems wildly inconsistant with everything that is known about the brothers to imagine that they would put something out there that was not a direct representation of what they built. Another factor was that they did not, as far as anyone knows, advertise in that fashion. They had their catalog, and that was pretty much it. The same seller has a postcard that is proported to be the brothers in a Willits canoe, but it is clearly NOT a Willits. The 2 gentlemen in the canoe also don't look like the brothers.

While it can't be ruled completely out that it is indeed a Willits salesman sample paddle, the odds of it being so are not that good.

Mark

Maybe it was a paddle owned BY a Willits salesman :D I have an old paddle owned by a General Electric draftsman (father)

Great Find!

The term Salesman’s Sample is a misnomer. Very rarely were these items actually carried around by traveling salesman. Usually they were given as premiums or used at trade shows to grab the attention of over stimulated attendees. Items out of scale grab your attention whether they large or small. I have no doubt this paddle was made by one of the Willits Brothers. A friend of mine was lucky enough to be the winner. I’m glad for him but I’m sorry I missed it. The condition and craftsmanship is superb. If it is a forgery it was done by a master forger. The care taken is unbelievable, the finish and grain is lustrous and the brass tag is neatly inset. Please direct the forger to me, under paid craftsman like this are hard to find.

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

Attachments

• Expo1.jpg
    Expo1.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 502
Well, I sat out the auction. We have heard from 2 differient sources on the authenticity of the paddle. Pat Chapman, who is I feel, a true expert on Willits, and Bob Ross who I know has a lot of experience in collectables. Both points of view are valid. What it came down to was that I trusted Pat's judgement, and was unwilling to risk what turned out to be a fair chunk of change on the paddle. Had it been of indisputable origin, I would have been in the thick of the bidding. All that really matters is that the purchaser is happy with his purchase.

Mark

Last edited:
The true bottom line for the purchaser in this case is whether he is happy with his purchase. He called me about it after receiving the paddle and he is definitely happy. I'm sure the seller is overjoyed...

That being said, I have some thoughts to add to the discussion. Let me first acknowledge, though, that I have not seen the paddle in question and am relying on the photos and description from the original eBay auction. I was tempted to post the photos from that posting here for comparison to known Willits paddles, but decided that would violate eBay's (or someone's) copyright, so am not going to. A comparison of photos of known Willits paddles with the eBay paddle supports my contention that it is not consistent with anything Earl or Floyd Willits produced from their shop. For those of you with copies of my book "The Willits Brothers and Their Canoes" refer to pages 150, 151, 219, and 223 for photos of Willits paddles. Compare those to the eBay paddle at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170210732337

As you can see from those photos, the eBay paddle shape and handle is not at all consistent with later Willits paddles. In particular, later Willits paddles were not a beavertail shape. Rather, they were more straight sided and significantly narrower than the eBay paddle and earlier Willits models. The grip on every Willits paddle I've seen, and in every photo I've seen, is a pear grip. There is no evidence that Earl or Floyd ever produced a paddle with a rounded grip as seen in the eBay paddle. While photos of very early Willits paddles do show a beavertail design, the grip is always the typical pear shape.

Given the intense attention to every detail in their work, I believe that neither Earl or Floyd would have produced a miniature paddle that did not reflect their full size work 100%. They would not have made a paddle with a rounded grip unless they produced a full size one, and there is no evidence that they ever did so. Additionally, they are not known to have produced miniatures for any reason. While the nameplate inlayed into the eBay paddle is undoubtedly authentic, the brothers never inlayed nameplates in anything they produced, and paddles were never identified with a makers mark of any kind. It is apparent from the photos of the paddle that the inlay is very well done, and the finish of fine quality. The Willits brothers were not the only craftsmen capable of such work. Nameplates were available from the brothers as replacement parts for years, so the mere presence of an authentic nameplate does not prove the paddle's authenticity.

Believe me, if I had thought this paddle was authentic, the bidding wouldn't have stopped at the price that it did. There are no other examples of Willits miniatures. If authentic, it would be truly one-of-a-kind. That, in itself should raise red flags. The seller offered no documentation of the paddle's authenticity, other than to state that it was purchased from a Tacoma, WA estate sale, and had a Willits nameplate.

Regardless of whether I think the paddle is authentic or not, I take away a few thoughts from the experience.
1. No one can prove anything without authenticated provenance. Without that we're left with varying levels of educated opinion and one must choose which to side with.
2. People are willing to pay some pretty impressive prices for something they place personal value on.
3. I need to quit my day job and produce authentic miniature Willits paddles. I am accepting advance orders at $400 each (discounted because I don't have authentic nameplates). :)

Last edited:
Never Say No

Dear Pat,
Thanks for the reply, it is good to hear directly from the horses mouth. I’m sure you feel quite protective of the subject considering you’re prospective. One would like to think they know it all after they wrote the book. I look at it from another point of view. These samples are not always an accurate representation of ones work. Take for instance the Old Town 8’ foot Salesman's Sample it is clunky and not completely to scale. How about the record setting J. H. Rushton Sample at $40, 000. ? I sure would like to talk to Atwood Manley about that one; it wasn’t in his book either. Rare fifty-two inch advertising model sold at auction 07, discovered in a tags sale in Canton, NY. Things rock our world every day and that what keeps me getting out of bed in the morning.

Sincerely,

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.

Attachments

• willets.jpg
    willets.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 481
  • willets5.jpg
    willets5.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 488
  • canoes.jpg
    canoes.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 477
  • rushtonsample.jpg
    rushtonsample.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 476
I’m with you, Peter and Mark. I chose not to bid, even when the bidding was low- there is no evidence at all (other than the tag, which would have been put there by anyone at any time) that this was made by the Willits Brothers, and the tag is the only thing that even suggests so. The fact that it does NOT represent the Willits' other work certainly adds no proof! We should beleive something is authentic because it looks nothing like the maker's other creations???

I don’t think anyone needs to be calling Pat a know-it-all... hopefully this is just a good, spirited discussion. But he certainly knows a lot- his book is incredibly well researched, and his research is abundantly documented. The facts that (1) Pat found no evidence for the Willits having produced samples in all of his exhaustive research, (2) the paddle bears no resemblance to other Willits products, (3) there is no provenance associated with the paddle led me to pass up on what at first looked like a very exciting find.

What about those other samples? Old Town sample canoes often had serial numbers, and their build records still exist. AND, they DO bear a remarkable resemblance to the full-sized Old Town canoe. The Rushton sample sure looks like a Rushton product (as do many other canoe samples made by others including Kennebeck, Peterborough, etc.), and Rushton displayed his wares are shows, unlike the Willits brothers.

“Never say no”? I did, and apparently so did a number of others. I’m very happy for the purchaser, but glad it wasn’t me.

Last edited:
Don't read too much into the origins of the seller. I know who he is and he splits his time between England and Tacoma. He is a collector of various things and I believe owns at least one Willits canoe. He is NOT Dale Chihuly, the renowned glass artist from Tacoma and Seattle who most definitely is a collector of Willits canoes and trade blankets, or "Pendletons". He does not collect the modern factory-produced Pendletons, but rather the antique blankets produced for trading with native Americans.

Flawed wood?

The thing that strikes me about this (and I ain't no Willits expert) is that there seems to be a small defect in the wood in the area where the paddle and the shaft join. I think I see a small brown spot.
If I were making a sample paddle, or even one for myself, I would always make a real effort to avoid working with a flawed piece of wood. If I did find a flaw in the wood, I would certainly not put the makers label on the same side of the paddle and highlight it. It's a tiny flaw, but it's a flaw never the less. This (I believe) suggests that someone with less than critical standards made this paddle. Certainly a salesman's sample would not be fabricated with a flaw? Something seems off kilt here.

Ehh, I don't think the blanket has anything to do with the paddle. The seller actually contacted me about a Willits I have for sale, and it was NOT Dale Chihuly (sp?). It's just a blanket. I wouldn't know a Pendleton if it bit me on the butt!

As far as the flaw goes, I can't see it. But seeing the pics of the paddle again, it is about as far from a Willits paddle as one can get. There is NO resemblance whatsoever. My original point still stands: Why would two men as persnikety as Earl and Floyd put out something that was nothing at all like their product? It goes against everything that is known of them. I am quite willing to accept 5 years of research at face value. It is 5 more years than anyone else here on these boards has put into the Willits brothers.

Mark

More for the story

Dear prippingale,

Miniature Sample Willits Bros Canoe Wood Paddle Please see link http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?p=16127#post16127

Tacoma, Hello this paddle created quite a stir in my canoe circle. I'm wondering if you could shed any light on its history or origin.

I would be quite interested.

Sincerely,

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

Dear ross_bros,

The Paddle came from a local Tacoma Estate Sale who had been Mayor in the 60's. There was no other Willits related mateirial and no clues in the family photo albums. His house was full of curios, a lot Circus related. There was a superb miniature Golf club that a friend of mine purchased. I undestand the ' stirr' and only wish I could be more help. Kind regards, Paul.

Attachments

• getimage.jpg
    getimage.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 418
Interesting Feed Back

Robert , I read with interest the discussion about the Miniature paddle on the Canoe forum. Could it be that this was a personal presentation to the Mayor. I shall try and find out his name. Also it is interesting to note the complex dismissals of failed bidders. Regards, Paul.

"complex dismissals of failed bidders"???

Wow! Sounds like someone's a little hurt to be called for passing off an item as being important and valuable with no evidence! I'm sure there are many here who would love to learn (with facts, not rumor) that this is a real artifact from the Willits Brothers shop. And I know that many of these people were NOT failed bidders- not bidders at all!

More info:

Robert: I grew up across the bridge from the Willets brothers
shop on Day Island. I would, on occasion play or work in the shop. The paddle in the picture looks correct, but most were used and did not weather well.Is yours a cedar,spruce or fir? The grain looks like fir, not what they normally used. There is a book ( History of Tacoma) that has a lengthy story about them. Also a fellow ( Otto Johnson) built there steam boxes and as far as I know still lives in Gig Harbor WN. He was a good friend of theirs. Tony O

Back