Willits canoes

Hi Dan,

I just bought 8C147. It didn't come with the makers plate or the bow deck tiedown. I was hoping to find some kind soul who could take pics and make a cast of the plate. (so I can make wax molds and then brass replicas)

Mark

It doesn't sound like I would be much help,
mine is S/N 696 ('43) and the other I have a few pics of is 891 (late 50's).

Did you check with Pat?

Dan

new toy

I got another one. it was or sale on Pat's site. As I mentioned above, the ser# is 8c147. The cool thing is that the page from the Willits log book is one of those that is shown in Pat's book, so I didn't even have to do any research. The canoe is in real good shape for it's age. There are 3 holes in the gunnels that were filled with plastic wood. I'll dig that out and put in Mahogany plugs. Also, it was wired for electricity! There is an old can type switch on the stern thwart, with wiring exiting the hull at the thwart, running up to the bow and then back inside. The hole in the hull look to be very small so I'll be able to plug those with a bit of red cedar. The seats are Mahogany, but very dingy looking. The interior has the orig. varnish, and the exterior has varathane on it, so a complete strip and revarnish is on tap. My wife and I are taking it up to Lake Tahoe this afternoon for a paddle.

The old boy that had it for sale was really something. A true canoeist. He was an international white water racer back in the late 60's- early 70's. Made one of the first roto molded kayaks. Had 10 or so molds for various kayaks and canoes. Had a great paddle collection, including a mint Willits paddle. ( I couldn't talk him out of it though) A real neat fellow to talk to. I drove 400 miles there, leaving Reno at 6am. I got there at 12:30, was there a couple of hours, and then turned around and came back, getting back into Reno at 8pm. It was 107 degrees there. I don't know HOW people live in that kind of heat!

OK! The wife and I took it out for a paddle at Salmon Lake. It is one of a chain in the high sierra. The wind is howling out here today, and there were foot high whitecaps at the first lake we went to. We were out in the canoe all of maybe 5 minutes, and I had my feet immersed in 2-3" of water. The canoe leaks like a seive! So, I guess I'll strip it this fall, and have it and #909 ready for varnish next spring.

I DID have any number of guys that looked and looked, touched, looked again. One guy told me that his uncle "had one just like that". Another fellow asked me if I had built it, and just shook his head and said "wow" when I told him it had been built in 1923. Very cool stuff though!

Mark

Back