Will it sail?

Treewater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Here is the 15 ft #52 UFO canvas canoe. I had the sail so I added it even while I don't know its name, extendable mast. Sail is 16 sq ft and home made. Rudder home made and yes, w/o a tiller I don't think I can sail as that is all I ever sailed with. Built the lee board bracket and mast thwart. Old Town lee boards. All I need is a jib sail but do I really and will it sail as is? If the wind blows I'll know tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0490.JPG
    IMG_0490.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 409
Of course she'll sail!!! Questions of how well she tacks, and how well she stays upright, are yet to be determined... we'll wait with bated breath for a full report, and pictures!

it's a start

Interesting first sail in a canoe. Poor job of securing the sail to the mast. Light winds but okay for a first time. Took the lee boards from that boat on the left, a 17 footer with sponsons, never even needed to put the second lee board in the water. One board was over kill. Shipped the rudder on return against the wind. Does fantastic with paddle assist and paddle steering. Where have I tripping w/o sails?

Attachments

• IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 352
Tim --

Really cool! I'm interested in what you did with the mast step -- it looks like it is fastened to the floorboards -- but I get the impression from earlier pictures of this canoe, that the floorboards may be fastened down and are not removable.

I'd also be interested in a few close-up pictures of your rudder and how it is mounted (and unmounted). And is that a folding tiller extension in the first picture?

Greg

do it yourself sailing

The mast step is screwed in six places to the very light frame, through the floor boards into the ribs. The floorboards are permanently fastened and needed for strength. The rudder is fastened to the stem. These skin on frame canoes seem to have thick and large stems, 3/4 " and thus a little blunt. I made the brass and oak pieces to fasten with 1/4 bolts going through the stem. I pinched and glued, painted the mounting point, to keep water out. That rudder I made is typical of small sail boat rudders in Puget Sound. It lifts out quickly and sets in easy. I am not sure I need the rudder and I will make some trials with that oar lock clamped in place to steer with the paddle. This is for sure a trial and error project. I intend to go solo, with camp gear, make 20 miles a day and still portage a mile without tiring myself.

Attachments

• IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG