Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

While you were at assembly--

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Dave Wermuth, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Dave Wermuth

Dave Wermuth Who hid my paddle?

2. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

We're not at assembly yet, Dave... now you've gone and let the cat out of the bag...! (Don't worry about me, I caught my limit of Rushton's this week)

Cheers,
    Dan

3. Dan Miller

Here is a bit more now that I am awake: it is most likely an OI Grade Indian Girl made sometime after 1907. I base this on the fact that open gunwale Indian Girls are not offered in the 1907 and earlier catalogs. Unfortunately, the IG was in a separate 1908 flyer and not shown in the main catalog (we have a copy of the latter), and I have a huge gap until the circa 1915 (and probably last) catalog issued by Rushton, Inc, where it is shown.

So, late model IG, but a Rushton nonetheless...

Now if you want a really neat Rushton, there is a 12' lapstrake on ebay currently as well...

4. Howard Caplan

Howard Caplan Wooden Canoe Maniac

Does the shape of this canoe look a little distorted to any body else?
    Howard Caplan

5. OP
    OP
    Dave Wermuth

yep

and I got to wonder about the 11" depth too. But if the bidding is not too high and I get lucky I don't mind driving that far. I've enough practice on canoes now that i think I can manage a restoration. I would enjoy the challenge of a correct restoration. If it's been cut down I can re-tip it.

looking at the rails and have a question.

Is it possible this had a rail cap at one point? Rushton made both styles?

I guess this raises lots of questions for the future.
    Dan, thanks for your expertise. I'll have to build up my library.

I saw the other one too. Ross Bros. as I recall.
    they offer good stuff.

6. Kathryn Klos

Kathryn Klos squirrel whisperer

Hello from the road, Dave!

Denis and I are staying at a hotel in Peterborough that has a computer for guests to use. The car is currently parked a few yards from one with a couple cool canoes on top... same car with canoes we noticed when pulling into the museum parking lot yesterday. Denis and I simultaneously said, "looks like Michael Grace is here, too." Which is the case.

Anyway, Michael mentioned this Indian Girl... so, here I am at uhhh looks like 4:50 AM checking out the board, with the notion of looking at eBay too.

We already have an IG, so I'd only be "watching" anyway. Ours is a late-model and I recall being told the IGs that have "Rushton" stamped on everything are later boats. Ours even says "Indian Girl" on the center thwart, as well as stem bands and I can't recall what else.

Good luck. If you win the bidding, I know we'll see her looking beautiful one day!

~~Kathy

7. Dan Miller

I wouldn't get worked up about the depth - depending on if they set their rule on top of a rib, and didn't sight across the rails carefully, that could easily account for a difference of 1 inch.

I don't believe this canoe had a rail cap. While Rushton did make several styles of closed gunwales, this one appears right for the OI model, see attachements...

Howard asks:
    It's nearly impossible to tell from photographs (unless there is something obvious like a broken inwale). I don't trust them, and always assume the canoe is much worse than it appears. That way, there are sometimes pleasant surprises....

Attached Files:

8. OP
    OP
    Dave Wermuth

I came in second place.

congrats to the new owner. Hope (s)he's a member.
    Oh well---

9. Howard Caplan

Howard Caplan Wooden Canoe Maniac

Sorry Dave. I was rooting for you. I wasn't following it today - got pretty high.
    Howard