Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Which stapler is best?

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by MackyM, May 20, 2012.

1. MackyM

MackyM LOVES Wooden Canoes

Which stapler is best for fastening canvas on a canoe; pneumatic, electric, or battery?

2. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

My favorite was a Duo-Fast, but stainless staples got hard to find for it, so now I just use an Arrow T-50. Powered by beer...

3. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

Pretty hard to beat a T-50;);)

4. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

I'll 2ed the Duo-Fast.

As for whether pneumatic, electric, or battery, I just have the old fastioned hand stapler, not enough staples on a canoe to justify the cost to me. I have no idea how many boxes of staples I've put through it in 25 years, but it just keeps going.

Dan

5. Mark Adams

Mark Adams all wood nut

I have a cheapy arrow electric I got at Lowes. It works well, but doesn't like being dropped. (remember those demolition cars when we were kids? You'd wind them up and head them towards a wall, they'd hit the wall and sort of explode? Same principle!)

I use Monel staples. One box will last forever.

6. davelanthier

davelanthier Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

I wore out my electric Arrow T50 after about 65 canoes. No complaints there for the price. Now have a Stanley electric that works just as well. I think electric is the way to go for a very small investment. From start to finish one person can instal the canvas on a 16' canoe in about 2.5 hours.

7. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

I use a manual Stanley and T-50 stainless staples. I had an electric for a while with a hair trigger. It didn't seem any more powerful than the hand dispensed models. Staples were going where I didn't want them to go. It's like handling a loaded gun!!!

Recently I've had some problems with it jamming up, but I think it may have been a bad lot of staples....seems like they wouldnt stay in "stick" form and broke up in the gun causing them to jam.

8. goldencub

goldencub Carpenter

I use a manual stapler, too. It's a Powershot 5700M and uses regular T-50 SS staples. What I like most about it is that to shoot a staple, you push down on the handle right over the head of the gun, rather than squeezing the handle at the back end of things. Much easier to use, and gets a tight staple every time! Al D