Which stapler is best?

MackyM

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Which stapler is best for fastening canvas on a canoe; pneumatic, electric, or battery?

My favorite was a Duo-Fast, but stainless staples got hard to find for it, so now I just use an Arrow T-50. Powered by beer...

I'll 2ed the Duo-Fast.

As for whether pneumatic, electric, or battery, I just have the old fastioned hand stapler, not enough staples on a canoe to justify the cost to me. I have no idea how many boxes of staples I've put through it in 25 years, but it just keeps going.

Dan

I have a cheapy arrow electric I got at Lowes. It works well, but doesn't like being dropped. (remember those demolition cars when we were kids? You'd wind them up and head them towards a wall, they'd hit the wall and sort of explode? Same principle!)

I use Monel staples. One box will last forever.

I wore out my electric Arrow T50 after about 65 canoes. No complaints there for the price. Now have a Stanley electric that works just as well. I think electric is the way to go for a very small investment. From start to finish one person can instal the canvas on a 16' canoe in about 2.5 hours.

I use a manual Stanley and T-50 stainless staples. I had an electric for a while with a hair trigger. It didn't seem any more powerful than the hand dispensed models. Staples were going where I didn't want them to go. It's like handling a loaded gun!!!

Recently I've had some problems with it jamming up, but I think it may have been a bad lot of staples....seems like they wouldnt stay in "stick" form and broke up in the gun causing them to jam.

I use a manual stapler, too. It's a Powershot 5700M and uses regular T-50 SS staples. What I like most about it is that to shoot a staple, you push down on the handle right over the head of the gun, rather than squeezing the handle at the back end of things. Much easier to use, and gets a tight staple every time! Al D

Back