Where to start....

mcbmgh95

I am looking for advice on where to start repairs to my father’s canvas canoe. All I know about it is that he received somewhere near 1945. About 10 years ago, it was re-canvassed and never put in the water. There is some visible damage where the canvas is pulling away and he mentioned that the keel strip was never installed when it was repaired. I think that I have all the original parts for the sail as well.

I have a couple of questions to start off with:

1. How do I find out what type of canoe it is?
2. I live in GA and need to find a repair shop. I prefer not to drive to Maine, but I will to ensure I get the correct repairs to the canoe. Where is a good place to start looking for shops?

Thanks
Michael

For identifying your canoe, a good way to start is to take a look at Dan Miller's canoe identification information at: http://dragonflycanoe.com/id/

And if you post some photos of your boat here (we all love pictures of other people's canoes), you are likely to get some useful feedback from one or more of our very well informed members.

Check the stems for a serial number. Several builders stamp serial numbers into the stems. Otherwise, as Dave suggested, post some pictures - many of the regulars here can ID canoes by distinctive design features (or at least narrow down the possibilities).

I'm next door in AL so if I can help in any way let me know.

Back