When to trim canvas

canoenut

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Just finished installing canvas on my OT Yankee and would like to know when the proper time is to trim the canvas back to the gunnel seating area.
Also, the canvas is #10 MR. Is it common practice to singe this material?
Thanks,
Lowell

Leaving the canvas hang long provides some protection to the inwales and interior as you apply filler and paint. Trim the excess carefully! when you are ready to install the outwales. While there is a difference in opinion, my impression is that few people singe canvas any more. Tom McCloud

Tom,
Thank you for your reply. Your statement about trimming carefully is exactly what I am concerned about. Do you just use a sharp utility knife?

Yes, sharp blade! Work slowly and carefully. You can always trim a bit more off later. Remember that the trimmed edge of the canvas will be hidden underneath the outwale, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but too 'short' to be hidden is definitely a problem. Tom McCloud

Trim the canvas before installing the outwales and the last coat of paint. Some treat the raw edge of the canvas with varnish. It is better to trim slightly lower than higher so that there are no puckers under the outwale screws. Singeing the canvas makes for less filler sanding-- slightly less. Remember that MR canvas is only mildew resistant. In my experience, the main advantage of MR canvas is that it is pre-shrunk. It will still rot when water is left in the tips.

Lowell... I don't singe anymore as I suspect the surface fibers offer good tooth for the filler and I have never had any issue with paint coverage. Find the box cutter blades with the hooked end and they are easy to control the cut big time. And angle the cutter downward to get a bevel on the cut to allow coming right to the level of the plank edge. A little varnish over the raw cut when you seal the outer face of the inwale ( if you bother ) will help over the long run. Go neatly with the cut and enjoy the moment. This won't be done for a long time and you made it so.

Back