What's the Difference ??

Nessmuck

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Is there a Difference between and old town Octa 16 foot wooden canoe and a 16 foot old town Guide canoe ?? Thanks for any input.

The most obvious difference between the Otca and the Guide models is the sheer line or profile view. The Otca has high ends while the Guide has much lower ends. The differences in the hull shapes are more subtle as shown at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/hull-x-s.gif from amidships. The 16 foot long Guide model was introduced in 1954 with a 33 inch width. This form was probably based on the 16 foot long HW model which was discontinued in 1953 and had the same width. The early 16 foot long Otca models were 34.5 inches wide until 1956 and they grew to 36 inches wide in 1957. The 16 foot long and 36 inch wide Yankee model was discontinued in 1956 and became the 16 foot long Otca model in 1957 as Dan Miller first noticed. Therefore, the exact differences will depend on which version of the Otca you wish to compare to the Guide. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question.

Benson

Thanks for the input. I found a 16 foot Yankee in the 1920's ...are those 36 " wide ?? And also....is this model supposed to have the deck boards on the bottom....and are those deck boards needed for strength or can be used without them ?? Thanks Again

Yes, a 1920s-era Yankee will have a 36" beam. I presume you are referring to the floorboards - these were an option. The build record will indicate if the canoe originally had them. They are not needed at all from a structural standpoint, but serve merely to keep gear a bit above any bilge water and protect the ribs from hard boot heels.

I once owned a Yankee - I restored it. Refinish, new canvas and a nose job, (some rot in stem, inwale and deck tips). My sense was that the Yankee I had - I think it was around 1945 or so - had lower sides than the 16 foot guides I have seen. Do the experts know - is there any truth to that?

My sense was that the Yankee I had - I think it was around 1945 or so - had lower sides than the 16 foot guides I have seen. Do the experts know - is there any truth to that?

Both the 16 foot long Guide's model and the Yankee model were listed in the catalogs as being 12 inches deep. However, there can be some significant variations in any process of building wooden canoes by hand. It would not be unusual for you to have been comparing an Yankee that came out a bit shallow to a Guide that was exceptionally deep. The Yankee is also 36 inches wide versus the 33 inch width of the early Guide models (until 1966 when the catalog specifications for it grew to 35 inches wide). Narrower canoes tend to look deeper than wider ones. This is probably just another case of where 'your mileage may vary..."

Benson

Back