What photos should I take to help identify an old wooden canoe?

Benson Gray

Canoe History Enthusiast
Staff member
Frequently someone who is not familiar with old canoes may need to take some pictures to help identify a canoe. Craig Johnson kindly volunteered to provide some suggestions and examples as shown below to help with this process.

==================================================

What photos should I take to help identify my canoe?

Sample photos to help identify a canoe.

Profile, showing shape of stems. also measure the extreme overall length and width in a straight line.

Interior, to show seat and thwart configuration.

Bottom, to show type of keel if there is one.

Decks, shape of deck, any decals or even shadows of missing decals or tags are helpful.

Seats, both bow and stern, shape and webbing materials if original, also to see type of hanger bolts.

Stem, the shape of the stem, the serial number of course if there are existing records, even the font of the numbers can be indicators.

These are just the basics to get you started. There are many more details that can be looked into if these don't get you an answer.

Last edited:
MGC has suggested that some pictures of the planking pattern can be useful if the canvas is off.

==================================================================

If the canvas is off it can also be helpful to take pictures of the planking...the gore and the entry into the stems can provide some very helpful clues. With respect to interior pictures, it is very helpful to show the rib profiles, some builders taper them, some do not, the edge chamfers also offer clues. Some typical planking pattern examples are shown below.

Planking-163040-b.jpg Planking-c-13940.jpg Planking-Crandell.jpg Planking-Robertson.jpg Planking-Thompson-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back