Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

What paddles to use ???

Discussion in 'Paddles and Paddle Making' started by Nessmuck, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Nessmuck

Nessmuck Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

I know it not a wooden canoe ,but I have a Scott HB 21 and wonder what type and length paddle I should keep in it ,just in case. Thanks

2. MackyM

MackyM LOVES Wooden Canoes

Hello Nessmuck,
    Every one has a personal preference on paddles that seems to evolve over years. The length depends on your size, height, strength, and where you paddle. You may want a different paddle for lakes than you would use in a swamp. Why not try a few different lengths and types before you buy if possible?
    MackyM

3. Kathryn Klos

Kathryn Klos squirrel whisperer

And carry an extra one, in case the one you're using gets away from you.

4. Greg Nolan

Greg Nolan enthusiast

For a canoe that large – 56” beam, 47” waterline beam, bow height 34", stern height 22.5 inches, 250 pounds, if I've got the spec right – I would want a paddle longer than usual. A wide blade (8” or more) would help in close-quarter maneuvering, but you might want something a bit narrower for a long haul. A common way to determine paddle shaft length is to sit in a chair, and measure from the seat to your nose. For this canoe, I would add at least 8 inches to that. Total length is that plus the blade length.

Presumably you want the paddle for when your engine conks out – you might consider carrying 2 paddles, because this boat would be a beast to paddle solo for any distance.

5. OP
    OP
    Nessmuck

Nessmuck Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Thanks for all the input. Greg ... Yes it is a beast and the paddles are for when the motor conks out.If I was doing a river trip I think I would throw a small kicker motor in it as a back up LOL.