Walter Walker video

Giiwedin

Gouvernail
Does anyone know if a video is still in circulation showing Walker at work? The Peterborough Museum lists one in its catalog, "The Old Man and the Canoe", made in 1992. Nothing else that I could find online.

Hi,

The link Darryl posted is the ONLY video of WW in action that I know of. I used to have a VCR recording of this, as well as one of WW explaining how to determine the taper of the planks, but it seems to have vanished.

There is another video of Mr. Walker building a strip canoe. It was made in his basement workshop, recorded on VHS. tape.
It's over two hours long and in it he describes every little detail.
I spent over three years researching how to build in this manner and came up with very little useful information. A fellow canoe nut and historian heard of my plight and contacted me. He told me he had this tape that would show me all I needed to know about the build and was willing to share it with me under these conditions; I would never tell who I got it from and I must never make it public. I also have a ton of photos taken of the tools he used and of the power saws he tapered the planks with.
Unfortunately the footage is in pretty tough shape. It was given to me on a "slow Play" VHS so the quality is poor but, it's still the only documentation that I have found that is detailed enough to assist in figuring out how to build a longitudinal cedar strip. I have recently converted it to digital and cleaned it up a little bit.
I hate to tell you all this then yank the rug out but I made a promise.
If you have any questions about building maybe I can help you.
Mark Morrall
Morrall River Films
Check us out on Facebook

It's a shame that you have such a valuable piece of canoe history and can't share it. A couple of years ago a WCHA member mailed me two cd's of walter building canoes . I made two copies and mailed them back however I lost both copies in a fire. It would be nice for you to talk to whoever you got the tape from and ask if you coule make them available to WCHA member's.

Back