UP around Watersmeet

Howard Caplan

Wooden Canoe Maniac
In a couple weeks we will be spending a couple of days in Conover WI at Rohrs Wilderness...
This is about 20 minutes from the UP. Highways 45 and 2 in the UP is Watersmeet. Other the Sylvania, can anybody recommend a sweet paddle in the UP within a reasonable distance from the WI border at highway 45?

Thanks

Perhaps Dave or Ferdy will chime in. I think Ferdy is in Sylvania now. there is the "big island wilerness area' east of there but Sylvania is way better and plenty big enough to explore. I recommend Pearl Zonkers or chartreuse tongue Depressors in about size two. A six weight is plenty as they don't get much over 5 pounds.

Is that fishing talk? I'll clean them if you catch them, I'll pick up a filet at the market, I'll raise them from pups but I won't try to catch them.
Thanks.

The Turtle Flambeau Flowage is about 1/2 hour away from Jag Lake.... Sprawling resevoir with wilderness-like sites scattered throughout. I'd suggest the Blair Lake area....it's in the "voluntary quiet zone".

That's ok, Dave W. has a love affair for Zonkers, I'm a close second. What? Canoes and fly fishing go together! Shame on you!

Back