Unidentified canoe, new project

The shape of the rail illistration is exagerated. It was just an image that was close of the internet. The angles are much less, but still visible. I would say that the angle of the rail facing into the boat is greater that the side against the ribs.

Well I finally had the opportunity to talk to the gentleman who sold the canoe to the person that I bought it from. He was the gentleman who had work on the canoe at the Wooden Boat School almost 20 years ago. He said Rollin Thurlow who was leading the class identified the canoe as a "Doc" Blanchard canoe. I found very little information on his canoes. It does seem that Docs son is still making canoes in Greenville, Maine.

Too funny...I had posted I have a feeling that one of the boy's from Atkinson will look at these pictures and immediately know who built this. If the canoe was used as a project at a boat repair class in Maine there's a pretty good chance they will know the canoe and have some more details for you.
The two boys, Rollin and Jerry...WBS...Rollin has been doing those for a long time.
Doc's canoes are a spin on the Whites that the guides used on Moosehead... that explains many of the "Maine" canoe features we were seeing. They are good solid working canoes....There's a Doc B canoe currently for sale on CL.

You were right. If the design is an adaptation of a White, then that explains why it looks so much like one except for the beveled planking. Hopefully it will finally warm up so I can get back to work on it. The barn has been too cold for using glue. I also need to add ends to the cants.

Back