Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Unclenched Nail

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Howard Caplan, May 6, 2012.

1. Howard Caplan

Howard Caplan Wooden Canoe Maniac

New canvas went on last fall along with filler. Started the finish work this week. Put a coat of varnish on the wood and a couple days later rolled it over to apply primer.
    I found a nail head bulging out the canvas dead center about where the outstem will join up with the keel. I found the unclenched nail inside and pulled it in with some pliers. The end of the nail broke off leaving me very little to bend in. I was alone in the shop so I couldn't get an iron to the outside while bending the nail into the rib on the inside.
    I am hoping that between this nail getting protection from the outstem and/or the keel and bending it better once somebody is around, that this won't give me any problems.
    Any opinions about my hope or a better way to correct it?

2. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Canoe Nut

Hi Howard,

The canvas is a lot tougher than you think.

Go ahead and hit the head from the outside and chinch/clinch with the iron on the inside.

I've done this on a few occations without future problems with the canvas. It's even safe to do after the canvas is fill.

Good luck,

Paul

3. OP
    OP
    Howard Caplan

Howard Caplan Wooden Canoe Maniac

Thanks Paul. Sometimes I need to hear what I think is right from somebody else. As soon as I have somebody with me at the shop, that is the plan.
    On another note, great report from a couple weekends ago with Denis and Kathy. You said it well.

See you in September?

Howard