Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Trailer for canoe

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by ken mueller, Nov 2, 2013.

1. ken mueller

ken mueller Canton, Ohio

I have a very limited space in my garage, and unable to park a trailer outside. I was able to construct a trailer that comes apart very easily, I can disassemble in 2 minutes. Investement of less than $400 total. If anyone is interested I can elaborate and post pictures.

2. Greg Nolan

Greg Nolan enthusiast

Please do. I'm sure that I'm not the only one interested -- small garage too full of canoes for anything else.

3. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

Yes, please do post....

4. OP
    OP
    ken mueller

ken mueller Canton, Ohio

Having limited space, here's what I came up with. The folding trailers that are on the market would not work, not being long enough for my canoe. I purchase a small trailer from Harbor Freight, and made some adjustments. I needed some way to lengthen the trailer but still be able to store it when not in use. I had a local welder (Spike) , isn't that a great name for a welder!, make 2 brackets that I mounted to the trailer. These are made to allow the extended tongue to slide in, and then secured with a hitch pin. The tongue can be made any length, depending on your needs. As for wiring the lights, I added a second connector at the back of the tongue which can be unplugged and pushed back inside to allow sliding the tongue into the brackets. I installed a small piece of hardware on the tongue so when sliding into the brackets it will stop exactly the same place, allowing me to put in the hitch pin. I made the bunks a little longer at the back of the trailer. This lets me put the trailer upright without damaging the lights.

Attached Files: