Tie stuff down outdoors!

Andre Cloutier

Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.
After losing a courting canoe mid-restoration to high winds that threw it across the yard, you think i'd learn. Left this recent purchase overturned in the yard, came home after a wicked storm to find it in the pool. Well, at least it wasnt sunk.

Attachments

• IMG_5678.jpg
    IMG_5678.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
I chased down my brand new 1972 OT Royalex as a thunderstorm rolled it across my (parents) yard toward the nearby pasture. Lesson learned. Anyone else?

Oh yeah
Had an 18 ft lapstrake rowing skiff outside, tight against the side of the barn, low on the ground, just sitting on some 4 inch beams. Wind picked up and we ran around battening down and thought that boat was heavy and right on the ground. Wind still picked it up and flipped it - cracked a rib or plank - can't quite remember. Drats.

hmm, nice pool Andre!!
Pam

At Assembly last year, I remember seeing someone arriving with canoes on the roof rack, and someone else commenting that it was a good idea not only to strap the canoe in the usual way including belly straps and end triangulation but also to put an extra safety tie connecting one of the crossmembers (thwart, seat) to the rack.

transport tie down query

a little off topic: I'm a new owner of 2 OTC guide wood/canvas, 16' and 20' now stored indoors suspended from ceiling, but due for car roof rack transport car roof rack transport. Please suggest bow & stern tie downs to car hitch, tow bars, etc. I'd hate to pass a line trough something fragile, yet I always tie down my plastic & kevlar boats. t

Back