Three Rivers Chapter at Cedar Creek

Max Peterson

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Three Rivers Chapter members on the Cedar Creek outing last Sunday enjoyed a beautiful time with bright sunny skies, calm clear water, and colorful leaves. Mark Zelonis brought his birch bark canoe and allowed each of us to try it out. It was delightful to see on the water and a pleasure to paddle. That was a first for me, and I was most favorably impressed with the ease of handling as well as its attractiveness. Don and Asako Bottman treated us to a wonderful lunch including burgers, Asako's teriyaki chicken, acorn squash, and Ruth Zelonis' delicious apple pie. Beautiful canoes on the water, stunning scenery, great food, and friends; one couldn't ask for more!

What...no pictures?

How about some evidence of the colors and birch bark canoe? Don't show the food, we get the idea there! Sounds like a great time. We had a 10 boat paddle, the same day, on the shores of Lake Erie at the Old Woman Creek Estuary, the only fresh water estuary on the great lakes and a migratory route for water fowl, song bird, falcons, hawks and eagles. Fall is the best time for canoeing, wildlife and color...those in the NE have it even better.

Thanks for sharing,

Ric Altfather

Unfortunately, I didn't take my camera. I'll see if Mark has a picture of the birch-bark canoe. By the way, thanks for the reply. I never know if anyone ever looks at these notices.

Max

We're watching, Max.
I sent a message to Mark Z (is that Zelonis, or another Z?) asking where the birchbark canoe came from. Did he buy it or build it? The reason I ask, is that I want to build one. The one built by Ralph Kohn (with Tom Byers in northern Ontario) that was on display at the Assembly construction tent was awe inspiring! That is a great retirement activity, gift to yourself, Ralph. Will that photo journal of the process make it into Wooden Canoe?

Rob,

That is Mark Zelonis. Do you have his e-mail? If not, zap me at max@maxwoodworking.com and I will send it along. I understand that Mark built this one in a class at Wooden Boat School. As I mentioned above, it seems to be a very sweet little canoe to paddle solo.

Max

Back