Thompson stem number purpose?

Gliddenwoods

Curious about Wooden Canoes
The photo is of a number on the end of the stem of a Thompson I am (attempting) restoring. I understand that Thompson did have serial numbers. The canoe is a Ranger which was at a Boy Scout camp in Wisconsin.

So what is the purpose of this number? I have had two different opinions from canoe folk that know a lot more than me. The first opinion is it was a number that the Camp used to ID the boats. The second opinion is that it is a number that the canoe salesperson put on the boat. I tend to believe the first opinion as being most likely correct.

What say you?

Attachments

• Canoe number.jpg
    Canoe number.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 223
I've seen a number of Thompson canoes with serial numbers stamped on the stems. No rhyme or reason, so far, has emerged. Not surprisingly, most came out of Wisconsin, and at least one had an L.L. Bean dealer tag as well.

My guess is that this may actually be a CX prefix similar to the Thompson shown below. Penn Yan used an FX prefix as shown at https://woodencanoemuseum.org/builder-history/penn-yan-boat-company but I'm not aware of them ever using any other prefix with an X in a canoe. Many of the Penn Yan boats included an X but the font of the stamps was quite different from the Thompson style.

Benson

Thompson-CX2121.jpg

Last edited:
Back